Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't downgrade from v18 to v17 on Nvidia Shield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought I'd give v18 a try on my Shield. It's very nice and I would stick with it, but it crashes quite a bit. It happens with the Alpha 1 release as well as the nightlies.

So, I thought I'd go back to v17.6. But, when I try to install (after clearing the Kodi cache) I get a message that the APK is corrupt. I can install up and down with various v18 APKs, but v17.6 craps out whether it's the 32 or 64 bit version.

I hesitate to completely uninstall Kodi and install v17.6 from scratch, but I will if I have to.

Is there any other workaround?

Thanks
Could you back up your settings, completely uninstall, install 17.6 and then restore?
Yeah, that's what I'll probably have to do.

I was just wondering why I can't just sideload reinstall 17.6 over 18. That would be less dangerous. Why am I getting 'APK corrupt' messages whilst trying to reinstall 17.6 but not 18?

Is there some backwards compatibility issue at play here?
v18 has a higher android:versionCode in AndroidManifest.xml and because of that you can't downgrade without uninstalling first.
Thanks. It was driving me crazy.
Now I remember why I wanted to avoid having to reinstall.

Exporting my library was quick & easy. Importing was horrendous. It took virtually the whole day (I have a lot of media).

In the end, I abandoned the import after Movies was done. I rescanned all the TV from scratch, which was much faster. But, of course, I lost all the Watched data.

Still got Music to rescan!

I'll wait for a final release of 18 before I try it again.
It's worse yet when the damn thing is forced on your with an (unauthorized - as in it didn't ask) automatic update from the Google Play store.... The Zidoo X9S update was 100% BORKED (crashed immediately).  Fortunately, it was a simple matter to reinstall 17.6 from a USB stick and APK install and move my backed up settings over. 

Surprise surprise, my Shield updated automatically too.  This one isn't crashing, but still it wiped out the Confluence skin (I personally can't stand that UGLY AS HELL "Estuary" interface).  Plus I had Confluence modified to not show any "loading" information from CinemaVision (all gone and wiped out).  Now I have to try and figure out how to side load KODI for the Shield (never did that before on that device) since there's no way to just tell the store that you don't want automatic updates that I can see.   I should be the one to decide to upgrade (if ever) to Leia not the damn store.  I'm pretty irked right now.  Everything was working perfectly here and along comes Leia and pounces...(sigh)
(2019-02-02, 04:16)VonMagnum Wrote: [ -> ]It's worse yet when the damn thing is forced on your with an (unauthorized - as in it didn't ask) automatic update from the Google Play store....
I agree it's a pain - I've been there - but it's down to your android settings.  If you have auto-update enabled in the play store then kodi will auto-update - like any other app.  Either disable auto-update for everything, disable it for just kodi (if you can) or link kodi to a different google account.
(2019-02-02, 04:16)VonMagnum Wrote: [ -> ]It's worse yet when the damn thing is forced on your with an (unauthorized - as in it didn't ask) automatic update from the Google Play store....

So what's new.

How exactly is this a Kodi problem ?

It's the damn Google Playstore and users Playstore auto update configuration that is the root cause of the problem. Google are to blame here. It's the same for every Android App update.

For those still on Kodi v17 Krypton, use this Addon before upgrading to Leia:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:XBMC_Backup
Fortunately, I backed up my database and other settings first (still might have to make a few adjustments), but now it's side-loaded so that should end the app store updates.  I didn't even know they had an auto-update feature (I've only had the Shield since last fall and the Zidoo for less than two months now).
(2019-02-02, 05:28)VonMagnum Wrote: [ -> ]Fortunately, I backed up my database and other settings first (still might have to make a few adjustments), but now it's side-loaded so that should end the app store updates.  I didn't even know they had an auto-update feature (I've only had the Shield since last fall and the Zidoo for less than two months now).
A sideloaded kodi will still be updated by the play store.  Ask me how I know.
The play store screwed me over on my visualizer (ProjectM) as well as the last update won't survive track changes and/or crashes regularly (it finally works with the remote to change settings, but some small comfort there).  I don't know why they simply don't have downgrade options if you have a problem.  I don't even know why Leia crashes on the Zidoo.  I'd like to try it out on the Shield, but I want a separate/parallel installation (might like the new stuff for running emulator games or something and I found there is a new version of Confluence someone updated, but I'd want to test it for awhile until I'm sure it's stable as my home theater needs a stable player.

Is there a straight forward way to keep 17.6 and install 18 on the same device without having to resort to some custom build or something?

Edit: @trogggy  Yeah you were right.  It updated the damn things again before I could change the Play store settings.... (sigh)
I got my kodi auto updated too, in Nvidia Shield and I lost my favorite skin. I want now to go back to Kodi V.17. Can anyone please guide me to the correct version for the Nvidia Shield.