Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi does not boot anymore (2nd time in a week)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It happened to me already last week, Kodi crashes on boot. Last week I did a clean installation and today the problem appeared again.Yesterday I did a version update using kodi installer addon and everything worked fine till today.

The log shows only 3 lines:

ERROR: CProfileManager: error loading special://masterprofile/profile.xml, Line 0 Failed to open
NOTICE: special://profile/ is mapped to special://masterprofile/
DEBUG: Thread CWinEventsAndroid 18446744072093698336 terminating

I do not want to reinstall the all thing from scratch. Can anybody help me? I have seen that the profile.xml file under .kodi/userdata is empty as well as the guisettings.xml. Is that normal?
We cannot work with only 3 tiny pieces of a whole puzzle. Get us the full debug-enabled log file, uploaded to https://pastebin.com or another text upload website.
There is no way to access Kodi. Kodi starts and then crashes or I get a black screen. The 3 lines log is the only thing I have. Can you please check the size of .kodi/userdata/profile.xml in your installation folder?
BTW, it is profiles.xml, not profile.xml. If you have installed any shady addons, some are known to alter files, and possibly rename them.

Contents of profiles.xml (923 bytes on my machine):

xml:
<profiles>
<lastloaded>0</lastloaded>
<useloginscreen>false</useloginscreen>
<autologin>-1</autologin>
<nextIdProfile>1</nextIdProfile>
<profile>
<id>0</id>
<name>Master user</name>
<directory pathversion="1">special://masterprofile/</directory>
<thumbnail pathversion="1"></thumbnail>
<hasdatabases>true</hasdatabases>
<canwritedatabases>true</canwritedatabases>
<hassources>true</hassources>
<canwritesources>true</canwritesources>
<lockaddonmanager>false</lockaddonmanager>
<locksettings>0</locksettings>
<lockfiles>false</lockfiles>
<lockmusic>false</lockmusic>
<lockvideo>false</lockvideo>
<lockpictures>false</lockpictures>
<lockprograms>false</lockprograms>
<lockmode>0</lockmode>
<lockcode></lockcode>
<lastdate></lastdate>
</profile>
</profiles>

You can also rename your .kodi profile folder altogether, and have Kodi create a new, clean setup profile. See if things work from there.
I solved as you suggested: I have renamed .kodi folder and left Kodi regenerate a new one, then I have copied back both guisettings.xml and profiles.xml files into the old folder. Indeed both guisettings and profiles files were empty but I still do not know what corrupts those files.

Thanks for your help.