Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Raspbian +Kodi + Lirc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,
I am quite new to Raspberry Pi and Kodi.
May be that's why I can't get my remote control working.
Installed the latest Raspbian stretch + Kodi + Lirc. IR receiver is a tsop4838 at GPIO bus.
I have done all the changes in hardware.conf, /etc/modules,  etc. that I found.
I had no problems to create the lircd.conf with my remote control.
IRW is showing the keys from my control correctly.
I have adjusted the Lircmap.xml in /usr/share/kodi/userdata.
The problem I have is when I start Kodi and press shortly a key (f.e. KEY_DOWN) on the remote to scroll through the menu then Kodi seems to get infinite keypressed signals.
Already stopped lircd-uinput  but not working.
I can't find anyhing similar like this in the web, I hope someone here could help.

Rgds
Lars

Solution:
No real solution, but for me it works.
Installed Raspbian Jessie, no problem to configute remote control. Works perfectly with Kodi.
Open question, what is different to Stretch?
Lars
(2018-03-20, 08:43)Rainmanef Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone,
I am quite new to Raspberry Pi and Kodi.
May be that's why I can't get my remote control working.
Installed the latest Raspbian stretch + Kodi + Lirc. IR receiver is a tsop4838 at GPIO bus.
I have done all the changes in hardware.conf, /etc/modules,  etc. that I found.
I had no problems to create the lircd.conf with my remote control.
IRW is showing the keys from my control correctly.
I have adjusted the Lircmap.xml in /usr/share/kodi/userdata.
The problem I have is when I start Kodi and press shortly a key (f.e. KEY_DOWN) on the remote to scroll through the menu then Kodi seems to get infinite keypressed signals.
Already stopped lircd-uinput  but not working.
I can't find anyhing similar like this in the web, I hope someone here could help.

Rgds
Lars

Solution:
Installed Raspbian Jessie, no problem to configute remote control. Works perfectly with Kodi.
Lars
Greetings,

I encountered the very same issue with Raspbian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3 with the TSOP4838 setup similar to Rainmanef above using Kodi 17.6.  I was able to resolve this issue by preventing the lircd system service from automatically starting with boot to Raspbian Stretch.  If lircd autostarts upon boot and you load Kodi, Kodi loads the Lircd deamon upon startup which leads 2 instances of the Lircd running which causes the infinite key press issue.  Below are the commands I used which will work from a terminal session within Raspbian Stretch or via ssh to raspbian stretch.

sudo /etc/init.d/lircd stop
sudo systemctl disable lircd.service
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo reboot

Upon reboot, Kodi should no longer have the infinite keypress issue.  Hopefully this helps others who decide to upgrade to Raspbian Stretch and would like to have Kodi 17.6 with reliable tsop ir control.

Update:

After further testing, looks like lircd still auto started even after disabling the lircd.service.  I was able to prevent the dual instance of lircd by doing the following:

!!Only works if booting the desktop gui environment!!!

Edit the autostart file to stop the lircd service after loading the gui:

sudo nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

Add the line below to the file

@sudo /etc/init.d/lircd stop

Note: If you auto start kodi upon boot, make sure to insert the above line above the kodi start line (ex. @kodi)! 

Then press Ctrl-O to save the file.  Then press Ctrl-X.  Then reboot.

It's not an efficient solution but seems to solve the problem until a better solution is available.
(2018-03-20, 08:43)Rainmanef Wrote: [ -> ]Solution:
What is probably different is that the version of LIRC in the Stretch repository is buggy, assuming they have the same version that's in the Ubuntu 18 repos.  You need to go back to an older version to get it to work.  See this article for details - the basic principle should be the same for Stretch as for Ubuntu 18.04:  Make LIRC work in Ubuntu 18.04, so that you can use your infrared remote in Kodi