Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't get Kodi reinstalled on SMBOX SM5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got this nifty little box. First thing I did was launch Kodi and it says there's a newer version. No way I can find within Kodi to have it update itself. I don't want to put my Google account on it yet. So I check the hardware, it has an AARCH64 CPU so I download the 64 bit ARM apk. Yes it IS an SM5 despite the SMBOX website having absolutely zero info on any of their Android TV boxen except the SM1, SM2, SM3 and SM6.

App installer fails to install. YES, it is set to install from unknown locations. I tried the updater script addon in Kodi. After googling up instructions on how to use it, it also fails with an error and a not to check the logs. I check the logs and all that's in there is that Kodi has started.

So I Google some more and find that I should unstall the Kodi that came pre-installed and install it through Play Store. I put in my account info, and there's Kodi first thing on the suggested apps. There's no Update, just Open and Uninstall. I poke Uninstall, then Install.

It gets a few megabytes downloaded then Play Store quits, quits so hard it resets it back to where I have to click Accept (and uncheck the please spam me Google box). I tried installing some other small app and Play Store crashed downloading it too. The only Update listed under my apps and games is for Facebook.

How do I get Kodi back on this @#%@#^@#^@^ little box?
More googling found kodi-17.3-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk That one installed. Then I installed the updater addon and it worked without error.

Why is this self updating not a default part of Kodi? Why wouldn't the updater update from 16.x to 17.x?

Now to update another one of these nifty yet annoying little boxes, an M9S this time. Looks like an identical Android and other apps install. Aside from the shape of the case I bet it's identical hardware to the SM5.