Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Still Current? Moving where files are stored?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this is still the most current best way to sort Kodi when files for movies and tv are shifting locations...

My files are shifting from smb://Storage/Movies/ to smb://StorageRS/Movies/ etc

Can anyone tell me if this is the best way to do it? --> HOW-TO:Update_SQL_databases_when_files_move (wiki)

want to keep watch history etc

Thanks
I think the easiest way to preserve your metadata, including resume points, watched status etc, is to export your library to NFO Files before the move. Then after the move, on a clean Kodi, run an Update Library to scan the NFO files back into the library.

See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library

The page you linked to was last edited over two and a half years ago, so not sure if it 100% accurate. The recent edit on that page last month was just to fix a broken link.
(2018-03-21, 09:04)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]I think the easiest way to preserve your metadata, including resume points, watched status etc, is to export your library to NFO Files before the move. Then after the move, on a clean Kodi, run an Update Library to scan the NFO files back into the library.

See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library

The page you linked to was last edited over two and a half years ago, so not sure if it 100% accurate. The recent edit on that page last month was just to fix a broken link.
Unfortunately I already run external nfo files etc, and I have never had the watch status or resume points in them......  Thanks though
If you read the wiki page, you will learn how to get the resume points.
If it were me (I have .nfo's that I don't want messed with) I would either...
1.  Edit the database directly - probably the quickest method but I haven't used it.
or
2.  What I have done in the past:
Install the WatchedList  addon from the official repo;
back up watched status with the addon;
close kodi;
rename kodi/userdata/Database/MyVideos107.db to eg oldMyVideos107.db;
rename kodi/userdata/Database/Textures13.db to eg oldTextures13.db;
rename kodi/userdata/Thumbnails folder to eg oldThumbnails;
edit kodi/userdata/sources.xml to show the correct (new) folder paths - I'd do this with notepad++, but it's probably as quick to do it in the gui from the videos page;
start kodi, set content, scan the library;
restore watched status using the WatchedList addon;
(optional) cache all artwork with the Texture Cache Maintenance Utility.
Once you're sure everything's okay you can delete the old database files / thumbnails folder.
The end result should be a 'nice', clean video database, without the cruft that inevitably builds up over time, and all artwork properly cached.