Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: IPTV Recorder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yeah... I've tried installing and testing your piped version a couple of times now with no success. The recording starts with a notification, never gets a 2dt notification, and writes nada to the 64 GB card. No surprise though after you had me try copying files over to the 64 GB card and having it fail. I'll have to find my notes on using the adb shell to format the extra card as internal/adoptive storage.

Have you found any file comparison software that can access both the android phone files and files/folders in Windows? I'm so spoiled with my trusty Beyond Compare software in Windows that gives me a side-by-side Norton style comparison where I can easily copy'overwrite files from one Windows system to another. I'm ending up using Amaze to copy the settings.xml file over to Windows where I compare it to one there with the long xmltv and m3u URLs. Then copy that back into android. Time consuming, but faster than typing those long URLs into the tiny Kodi config window.
If you can plug your phone into windows computer you should just be able to enable file sharing and make a favourite link down into the kodi folder for easy access to the files.

On my shield I use the service.lan.ftp kodi addon to access it via ftp. I think its on github somewhere. There are some free ftp apps in the Play Store too.
I use WinSCP to access it. When you edit a file on the ftp server it will write back the changes without any fuss.

For file comparisons I just use Notepad++ and the Compare addon. Use 32bit Notepad++ to be compatible with most addons.
Version 0.0.72
-  Settings \ Jobs and Rules \ pipe ffmpeg output through Kodi (for network folders)

This will pipe the video output of ffmpeg through Kodi to your "kodi recording folder" rather than directly to a file.
It means that you can write to network folders without messing around with the "ffmpeg recording folder", mounting drives or installing special versions of ffmpeg to deal with network folders.
Make sure the folder is writable by Kodi.

@JQZ* you'll still need to resolve the problem of your sdcard permissions but you might find a workaround by writing to your network storage.
(2018-09-03, 10:32)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]@JQZ* you'll still need to resolve the problem of your sdcard permissions but you might find a workaround by writing to your network storage.
I remembered your mentioning the possibility of setting a network path using smb or nfs. When I go to set the recordings folder in Kodi and just back up all the way, along with 'SD Card' and 'External Storage' (my 64 GB card), there are 'Windows network (SMB)' and 'Network Files System (NFS) listed. I'm a bit familar with smb as Amaze has an FTP smb function. That gives me an ftp://192.168.1.4:2211 address that I can access in Windows Explorer. But I quickly dropped using it because it seems it gives me the same access as the standard USB connection. Amaze also lets me create a wireless cloud connection to all my notebook's shared folders using the notebook's IP address. That's been very convenient.

However the smb/ftp and usb connections are not 2 way street connections. I believe T-Mobile has blocked certain permissions on this phone, as when I navigate to /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files from Windows, nothing is visible. I tried the hidden Windows folder trick my editing in the added /.kodi path I wasn't presented with, but Windows just balked at that.

Also, when I enable that ftp/smb option in Amaze, it only seems to be good at the Windows end. When I try to set a recording path in Kodi to Windows, I can't get past the 'Windows network (SMB)' menu. Might there be something else there to try?
(2018-09-03, 10:27)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]If you can plug your phone into windows computer you should just be able to enable file sharing and make a favourite link down into the kodi folder for easy access to the files.

On my shield I use the service.lan.ftp kodi addon to access it via ftp. I think its on github somewhere. There are some free ftp apps in the Play Store too.
I use WinSCP to access it. When you edit a file on the ftp server it will write back the changes without any fuss.

For file comparisons I just use Notepad++ and the Compare addon. Use 32bit Notepad++ to be compatible with most addons.
Ah the venerable notepad++. I was hoping to find something like it in android. There is a pretty poor app named notepad++ that's just ripping off the name. The best I could come up with was Jota, the app I was using on my Jurassic age Galaxy Ace. I'll look into the service.lan.ftp kodi addon. See my last post about Windows shared files.
Worst case you can use the Kodi File Manger to copy files to somewhere you can see them from Windows.

I always try to edit files from Windows or Linux. I hate phone keyboards.

Most advanced file managers have a text editor.
I sometimes use QuickEdit but google for android programming text editor for some others.

Accessing Windows shares has gotten complicated recently.
Krypton only supports a lower protocol level of smb than most recent windows versions do.
You have to jump through a few hoops to make windows support the same protocol.
This looks useful: https://ioblogblog.wordpress.com/2017/06...t-century/
(2018-09-03, 11:53)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]Worst case you can use the Kodi File Manger to copy files to somewhere you can see them from Windows.
That's a good idea.  Seems everyone is pushing ES File Explorer, which I guess was great in the past. These days I notice it's become excessively bloated and has annoying advertising. I came across a recommendation for Amaze File Manager and have found it's done everything people were recommending ESFE for. And it's a free, light open source app. Only problems have been it's still in beta and tends to crash from time to time.

Quote:I always try to edit files from Windows or Linux. I hate phone keyboards.

Most advanced file managers have a text editor.
I sometimes use QuickEdit but google for android programming text editor for some others.
I'll check out QuickEdit. Google for android programming? An app, Chrome extension or other?

Quote:Accessing Windows shares has gotten complicated recently.
Krypton only supports a lower protocol level of smb than most recent windows versions do.
You have to jump through a few hoops to make windows support the same protocol.
This looks useful: https://ioblogblog.wordpress.com/2017/06...t-century/
Hmmm: " The good news is that three weeks ago they started some work with Samba 4.1."

Am working on setting up and using service lan ftp.
The Amaze Text Editor looks good enough for messing around with settings files.

This Android ftp server let me access the kodi folder from windows.
There is a setting for hidden files that needs to be turned on.
I've got root access on my phone but this app didn't ask for it so it should work for you.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....ftpserver

Accessing your windows shares might be as simple as turning on the lower encryption settings and making sure that sharing is allowed through the firewall.
https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tu...nter-2.png
(2018-09-03, 14:07)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]The Amaze Text Editor looks good enough for messing around with settings files.
I find Amaze really good as a file manager. Its text editor is lacking though. I installed the QuickEdit app you mentioned and find it way better than Jota. It nicely selects part of a long URL, and then I can grab its handles, pull them to the ends and copy. Very nice

Quote:This Android ftp server let me access the kodi folder from windows.
There is a setting for hidden files that needs to be turned on.
I've got root access on my phone but this app didn't ask for it so it should work for you.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....ftpserver
That android FTP Server app didn't work for me. Got to /files and again saw nothing inside. I was convinced I wasn't ever going to be able to get in there from Windows. But I noticed an FTP app rated a bit higher just below it when I was searching called WIFI FTP Server. Super simple interface that did the freaking job! Read and write access from Windows at last. Doesn't let me open folders displayed there in my compare software like I'm able to do now since I copied some files to a Windows accessible folder as you suggested in Kodi File Manager. But I'm really surprised it gave me this kind of access.

Quote:Accessing your windows shares might be as simple as turning on the lower encryption settings and making sure that sharing is allowed through the firewall.
https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tu...nter-2.png
I'm not quite sure where to go with that. The ftp server lets me access android files from Windows, but not the other way. But as I said, Amaze lets me create a link to my Windows notebook's IP where I can access shared folders there from android. I'm still wondering if you're thinking somewhere along the way that this may lead to writing IPTV Recorder files to Windows somehow. 

BTW That Kodi FTP addon worked great from Windows PC to Windows PC, but wasn't able to create a server in android Kodi.
I wonder if some of your problems are from T-Mobile and your isp. Are you using their default blocking filters? I heard that UK isps had quite restrictive filters on by default. Maybe you need to opt out of them.

I still think your easiest solution would be to try and get adopted storage working.
(2018-09-03, 17:58)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if some of your problems are from T-Mobile and your isp. Are you using their default blocking filters? I heard that UK isps had quite restrictive filters on by default. Maybe you need to opt out of them.

I still think your easiest solution would be to try and get adopted storage working.
It's a year or two year old unlocked T-Mobile phone I have set up with a SafeLink Wireless account. I use my Charter Spectrum wifi to connect to the net.  I've never had any of the issues I've seen folks in the UK experience with blocking filters.

I'm looking into whether of not I can set up the sd card as adopted storage, but limit the OS access to it for anything but writing data. I'm not sure if the OS will automatically start using the extra space for other read/write/re-write purposes. I think not. From what I've read, if you install new apps, they'll go 1st to the internal memory. At that point they have to be manually moved to the sd card. So that might not be an issue.

I have just pulled out my very dated copy of WSFTP though, and after a bit of wrangling on where to set the port number, have my android Kodi files side by side with Windows Kodi files with the WIFI FTP Server running in android. Seems worth the 99 cents to kill the ads. I can now open settings.xml files on both sides with notepad++ in Windows and compare them. Very slick Smile
This is a useful post about why Kodi can't write to external drives or cards.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2535198

Someone has found a way round it on the next page but you need root access.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2720242

So it looks like it is either adopted storage or bust for your situation.

When you set the card as Adopted Storage it becomes part of the internal storage and won't work as a normal sdcard until you reformat it.
I think the apps get put in the most sensible place by default without you having to move them around manually.
These days I doubt if you'll need to swap sdcards very often, if ever, so using it as adopted storage is probably sensible as you need more space for recordings.
Just make sure you have a backup solution for your photos or personal data though.
Well the issue the folks over at xda-developers were warning me about was that SD Card flash drives formatted as adoptive break down with the constant writing and rewriting that apps perform. They don't reliability hold up, and unless you choose one that's fast, can cause sluggish performance. The 64 GB card I got was a pretty cheap one.  A while back I bought the fastest USB 3.0 flash stick I could find to load a portable copy of FooBar2000 onto, and it's still horrendously slow stating up and shutting down. If there are specific commands to run in adb shell that would designate the added storage space as being specifically for data storage purposes, that'd be great.

I also haven't found information on whether of not the 'sm list-disks' command, which in my case returns as 'disk:179,32', returns just the designation of the added sd card, or if that includes the existing internal memory. I see the 'sm list-volumes' command returns 'public:179,33 mounted 38C4-18FE', and know 38C4-18FE represents the sd card I see in Amaze. Past mistakes running Windows diskpart have made me very cautious of running any commands until I'm certain what they are going to do.. I sure don't want to run a command that will format the original internal memory. I'm okay with the card staying as dedicated internal memory.
I do put a lot of trust in Google to backup everything important on my phones.
Google Photos is good at keeping your precious memories safe when you enable automatic uploads.  I'll email myself anything important and keep Chrome synced.
Anything else I make sure gets duplicated to at least my main pc and probably server too.
I always assume phones are going to be lost, broken or stolen and hope for the best.
Google and Facebook have enough data on me. Since my 1st digital camera back in 2000, I've put all my photos in folder on my main PC, and have backed them up, along with everything else from 3 drives in the system I don't want to lose, to a number of external backup drives that have accumulated over the years. Have saved and backed up a number of drive images.  Seems easy enough to copy photos over from the phone to the PC.

And it may take rooting to get any more space on this Go5 without rooting from what I just found here:

Code:
adb shell
sm list-disks
sm partition <DISK> private
reboot

Replace <DISK> with the output of the previous command. (example: sm partition disk:179,64 private). If you don't want to convert the whole disk, then use this command instead: sm partition <DISK> mixed <VALUE>. Replace <VALUE> with the percentage (0-100) to keep as external storage. (Example: sm partition disk:179,64 mixed 50, for 50%).

If the above method didn't work for you, then it is not possible to get adoptable storage without root. (e.g. Galaxy A5, J5, J7, On5).