Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No option under Audio passthrouth on SONY 75X8500D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As mentioned in thread subject.
I have problem to play DTS/DD surround sound via SPDIF to AVR by my SONY 75X8500D. It works fine on SONY build in video player but not work on KODI.
I read lot's of threads about this topic, and found it should be resolved by setting Audio passthrough options. Unfortunately, when I dig into system setup menu, even in expert view, there is nothing under Audio passthrough section. what's a pity! Could anybody tell me what's wrong with my TV setting or KODI setting?
The situation happened in all version KODI that I tried (17.3 to 18 ).

Here is the screenshot:
(2018-03-23, 05:31)Friday007 Wrote: [ -> ]As mentioned in thread subject.
I have problem to play DTS/DD surround sound via SPDIF to AVR by my SONY 75X8500D. It works fine on SONY build in video player but not work on KODI.
I read lot's of threads about this topic, and found it should be resolved by setting Audio passthrough options. Unfortunately, when I dig into system setup menu, even in expert view, there is nothing under Audio passthrough section. what's a pity! Could anybody tell me what's wrong with my TV setting or KODI setting?

Here is the screenshot:
Return the TV. Sony TVs Android implementations are the worst on this planet and if users don't bring the stuff they bought for expensive money back, nothing will change ... but first make sure it's not a layer 8 error, e.g. headphones or something plugged in.
(2018-03-23, 18:00)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-23, 05:31)Friday007 Wrote: [ -> ]As mentioned in thread subject.

Here is the screenshot:
Return the TV. Sony TVs Android implementations are the worst on this planet and if users don't bring the stuff they bought for expensive money back, nothing will change ... but first make sure it's not a layer 8 error, e.g. headphones or something plugged in.  
Thanks for your reply, the problem has been resolved partially. The root cause is that I plugged in a subwoofer to headset jack. As you may know, the ultra-thin type television low frequency response is pretty weak and SONY provide a function that use the headset jack for subwoofer output. The sound is much better with the subwoofer. All the options under pass-through menu showed up after I pull out the subwoofer line from the headset jack. And DTS was played back by transcode to AC3 perfectly.
I don’t know why connect subwoofer to headset jack can impact pass-through function in KODI. It is output jack not analog input jack. In fact, I use TV speaker + Subwoofer in most of time when I watch TV. Only watch movies (with surround sound) by AVR and 5.1 speaker system. Is it possible I keep subwoofer connected with pass-through function active in KODI?  Thanks in advance!
No. Reason: Users enable it, use a headset and kill their ears. That's why we disable PT the very moment we find something plugged in.

Btw. if you only have your tv speakers and this subwoofers, why not disable passthrough entirely?
When I watch TV with my TV speakers and subwoofer I don’t care if PT active or not. But when I want to watch movie, I don’t want to pull out my subwoofer line. In fact, When I need switch from TV speakers to AVR, I have to set it up through TV’s menu. After that, the TV speaker no longer make sound. If KODI could detect the change and turn on PT. That will make more sense.