Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi UI rendering issues with AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello Guys

Yesterday I got a brand new Ryzen 3 2200G APU with integrated Vega graphics. I installed Windows 10, which worked fine.
Chrome was working and the Netflix app worked too. However, the most important Software did not work, Kodi. It would start fine just like the other Software. After the splash screen was gone, this showed up:

The UI did response to my input, but something went wrong with the graphics. I tested it with a normal LCD Screen and a Movie Projector (connected via HDMI). Both had the same issue. 
I installed the latest stable 17.6 Kodi and the 18.0 beta, which was built 2 days ago. Both versions had the exact same behavior.  
I use the latest driver from AMD:

My Hardware specs:
MB: ASRock AB350 GAMING-ITX/AC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
RAM: 4GB (-512 MB for graphics)

PS: I use the CEC adapter from Pulse Eight. The issue remains when I disconnect the device.
Here is my log File:
https://pastebin.com/atKNzDg4
Hello @andrin55

Could you please resubmit your log. Debug mode is not enabled, and the log has been heavily edited. We need the full log.

1. Enable Debugging mode. Go to Settings>System Settings>Logging and it should be the first option
  2. Restart Kodi
  3. Replicate the problem.
  4. Upload the results to https://pastebin.com/ or https://paste.ubuntu.com/ and link back here.
Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Hi @Karellen 

I did not edit the log. I just uploaded it directly from the AppData folder.
However, I did enable the Debug function, but I'm currently at a different location, so I did enable it via RDP.
Kodi renders the UI fine if I'm remotely connected via RDP. Do you want the debug log from the RDP connection?
We need the log that captures the problem you show in your images. So whatever way you need to replicate that. Strange that it works via RDP.
[url=h
(2018-03-23, 09:43)andrin55 Wrote: [ -> ]Yesterday I got a brand new Ryzen 3 2200G APU with integrated Vega graphics.
I was hoping if you could do us a favor in return, once your Windows graphics problem of Kodi has been solved. If it's not too much trouble...

Team LibreELEC would be very interested to see the graphics results when Running Kodi 18 using a LibreELEC bootable USB stick (and upgraded to Milhouse's LibreELEC build #321 or later). It is about testing HEVC and 10bit videos on AMD's newest apus.

We are looking for a couple of volunteers to test those new AMD Vega graphics with the Linux VAAPI graphics driver set. So far, tests on some older AMD cards have gone quite successful, but a lack of new AMD Ryzen users is holding back further testing. It would be so helpful if you could lend us a hand with that.

So, if you are up for it or need any more information, don't hesitate to ask for more details. Thanks in advance. Smile
@Klojum 

Can I use LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.4.img or do I have to get/compile a Custom image? It would be interesting to see if it runs correctly under Linux.

After I've got the image i will try to play some h265 / 10 bit footage and tell you how my experience was, did I get this right?
(2018-03-23, 13:46)andrin55 Wrote: [ -> ]Can I use LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.4.img or do I have to get/compile a Custom image?
No need to compile it yourself (unless you have lots of time on your hands) :-)

Normally for a Generic Intel/Nvidia/AMD system, installation of LibreELEC is a 2-step process: Creating the installer USB stick, and secondly doing the actual installation of LibreELEC onto the HDD/SSD of the pc machine. Alternatively, you can also do a full install onto a 2nd USB stick, which is highly recommended. Just use caution when selecting the target device in the installer, because it *WILL* wipe that entire device. If you are unsure during the actual installation, simply first unplug your HDD/SSD.

NB: I was just notified that you can also upgrade the single installer USB stick when it is in RUN mode, so no 2nd USB stick necessary! Smile

Once LibreELEC is up and running, you can do a manual upgrade using the Milhouse tar file by copying it into the 'upgrade' folder, and reboot.

Should the Ryzen/Vega combination fail at the start LE 8.2.4, then we need to take some different steps.
Thanks in advance for your efforts. Wink
(2018-03-23, 14:14)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]NB: I was just notified that you can also upgrade the single installer USB stick when it is in RUN mode, so no 2nd USB stick necessary! Smile
Sounds good. So i write the stable LibeELEC to a USB drive, load it into ram, install it back to the USB drive, put the update Tar via SMB into the USB drive, reboot and that's it?

Would it be possible (without manually altering Grub configs) to install LibreELEC alongside Windows on the same SSD?
(2018-03-23, 14:14)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Should the Ryzen/Vega combination fail at the start LE 8.2.4, then we need to take some different steps.
Thanks in advance for your efforts. Wink 
 If you're sure that the 9.0 version works, I could boot it in a VM and do the update there. Or maybe there is a way to create a Live USB Drive with the 9.0 version directly?
Libreelec will not work! Smile It have Kernel 4.14 which do not include the amd vega drivers.
Also the Next build is not working (even with Kernel 4.15) cause the driver isn't build in.

Allready tryed that.
I have this cpu, too. Running on Windows 10 x64.

Try to switch to real fullscreen (not windowed).
(2018-03-23, 16:10)skybird1980 Wrote: [ -> ]Libreelec will not work! Smile It have Kernel 4.14 which do not include the amd vega drivers.
Also the Next build is not working (even with Kernel 4.15) cause the driver isn't build in.

According to Phoronix, 4.15 is the absolute minimum (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a...ga11&num=1). Do you know which Kernel is included in the 9.0 version?

Anyway, did you have the same display issues with Windows and HDMI? I'll try real fullscreen when I get home.
No i haven't this issues. But i have issues to play mpeg 4 (xvid) with Kodi 18 (greenscreen while playing). Kodi 17 is working flawless.
today i will change my motherboard cause i got several bluescreens with the Asus B350M-A Mainboard. (tested Ram - all okay) i think the bios is just buggy..
(2018-03-23, 16:10)skybird1980 Wrote: [ -> ]Libreelec will not work!
Please go wash your mouth Oo
LibreELEC should work now with 'most' AMD gpu's, we are trying to see how Ryzen performs (if at all).

This was played on a A4-5300 (HD7480) apu, using Milhouse build #321:
(2018-03-23, 16:04)andrin55 Wrote: [ -> ] If you're sure that the 9.0 version works, I could boot it in a VM and do the update there. Or maybe there is a way to create a Live USB Drive with the 9.0 version directly?
A Virtual Machine, although very handy, may throw in some unexpected barriers, so creating a Live USB stick has my preference. You can test both methods of course if you like.
Pages: 1 2 3