Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Simply done - NFS Share on Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2020-04-15, 12:27)Kodroid Wrote: [ -> ]I find the NFS server to be a bit unstable

That is a rather vague description. Any chance you can be more detailed?

(2020-04-15, 12:27)Kodroid Wrote: [ -> ]I wish there was another solution that is actively maintained.

This is not to bash an operating system, but I've been using NFS on Ubuntu Linux for just about 10 years, and the only problems that came up were because of "user error".
Funny enough, NFS is available on Windows but only in the 'higher' enterprise versions. The Home and Pro editions do not, afaik.
If NFS were available to all Windows versions, things will probably be more stable instead of having to use 3rd party solutions.
(2020-04-15, 12:44)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-15, 12:27)Kodroid Wrote: [ -> ]I find the NFS server to be a bit unstable

That is a rather vague description. Any chance you can be more detailed?
The server eats RAM and sometimes crashes. It is not the most stable solution. It hasn't been maintained since 2017 so it probably has a lot of bugs to fix. Somebody needs to come up with a more stable open source NFS for Windows solution or a fork for this server. It still somewhat works, but it is not ideal.
Does anyone know why winnfsd seems to struggle with large files? 

I set this up back in February and have been using it ever since with no issues. 
Only recently I decided to start storing large movies in 4K  (30-70GB). 

I quickly found that every one of these large 4k movies I tried to play in Kodi would buffer every 20-30 seconds or so when streaming over NFS. 
I switched over to SMB and there was actually no buffering at all. 

Due to this I've had to stop using winnfsd for now.
Pages: 1 2 3