Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Pulled HTPC out of storage from 2011...little help upgrading
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm curious if there's anything specific I need to know upgrading from xbmc 11eden beta 3 hd audio version to the current stable version of Kodi 17.6. I currently am using XBMC 11.0-pre git 20120209-02ff9d2. I'm on Windows 7 64 ultimate. 

Can I jump directly to Kodi 17.6 from xbmc 11?
Can I use Kodi 17.6 on Windows 7?
Is there a preferred version to use with Windows 7?
Will I still be supported for the upcoming Kodi 18?
I have a huge library I access directly on my Htpc is there anything I need to keep in mind while updating regarding keeping my current setup(given this issuch a big jump, I wasn't sure if there was anything out if the norm). skins, add-ons, and keeping the path to my media. I have 8 2tb hdds partioned into 3 drives. Windows and xbmc are on my SSD C drive.

My hardware is a GTX 460, i3550, 6gb ram. 
I'm just running my Htpc directly into my tv
The GTX460 should still do nicely in terms of graphics. A Raspberry Pi 3B+ should be equally good enough for displaying all 1080p content. With much less electricity needed and no noise at all.

Are you bound to using Windows? Perhaps a LibreELEC setup will be sufficient. But afaik, Kodi 18 also supports Win 7.

(2018-03-28, 12:12)joeydrunk Wrote: [ -> ]I have 8 2tb hdds partioned into 3 drives
I'm not quite following this one. Are you using some type of RAID setup? If so, a LibreELEC setup is out of the question.

Also, since your XBMC and all its addons are very outdated, a clean setup is very much preferred.
  • Can I jump directly to Kodi 17.6 from xbmc 11?
    I recommend against that. There have been a lot of changes to the database, it's likely the current Kodi can't upgrade such an old version.
    Upgrading by installing all versions inbetween is time consuming and you'll run in every skin/addon problem that have existed between each version.
  • Can I use Kodi 17.6 on Windows 7?
    Windows 7 is supported afaik so that should not be a problem.
  • Is there a preferred version to use with Windows 7?
    The latest version is always recommended, which is Kodi 17.6
  • Will I still be supported for the upcoming Kodi 18?
    Don't know that one. Hardware might be insufficient if you want to support HEVC, 4K etc. and I am not sure whether Kodi 18 works in Windows 7

I don't know what skins or addons you use but there have been a lot of changes. Considering the changes to the skinning alone I would be surprised if the skin you used would work in Kodi 18. When upgrading from such an old version I recommend to start with a clean slate:
  1. Export your current library to single files: export library wiki
  2. Remove old Kodi and clean or backup the userdata
  3. Install current Kodi (17.6) and scrape your library which will use the data you exported earlier
A direct move to Kodi 17.6 or 18 isn't going to work coming from XBMC 11, there was a critical update ~13.1 into 15 that allowed for a proper library transition. The hardware you have should be good. I'm presently running win7/64 and Kodi Leia alpha (nighties) and attribute most issues with the alpha nature of Leia (h265 works cpu dependent), but if you're looking for stable Kodi Krypton 17.6 is the current iteration. Suggestion: Load up Krypton 17.6 as a portable installation in your root "You can use Kodi in Portable mode after it is installed by creating a new shortcut with -p as parameter". Play around with the default, scrape in one of your many drives with the 'Universal Scraper' and see how it goes, if the meta-data is sufficient in the movie folder then a scrape will be a few minutes, if not, then the scraper will refresh needed meta-data. You didn't make it clear how big your collection was, so time wise, it might be a longer haul. This will be a worthy upgrade, take your time. BTW: XBMC and Kodi are totally independent of each other (yes you can have both on your system, and run both at the same time!), totally separate libs, artwork etc. While portable mode keeps everything into one folder, but you can't have multiple Kodi's running at the same time. An after thought; a 3rd party media manager like TMM might bring the meta-data into the modern era pretty quickly, then a local scrape.

Some reading homework.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222111