Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Raspberry Pi 3 b+ not booting at all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried searching for a similar thread but I found nothing. I recently purchased a raspberry pi 3b+ and it will not boot at all. The green light comes on and then it stays stuck at the rainbow screen.
I tried several sd cards and power supplies. Is there anyone else experiencing this problem? I want to know before I send back the Pi.
Which OS and version are you using? You will need the latest versions of for example LibreELEC or Raspbian for because the newest firmware is required for a successful boot.
I am using the latest Kodi build on the raspberry pi b3+
(2018-03-29, 06:27)vioman19 Wrote: [ -> ]I am using the latest Kodi build on the raspberry pi b3+
Kodi is just an application that runs on an OS (operating system) - what OS (LibreELEC, Raspbian, OSMC, Arch, Xbian etc.) are you using?

If this is a new installation, and depending on your OS, make sure you haven't written the wrong image to the SD card - writing the RPi image (rather than the RPi2/RPi3 image) to the SD card will result in a rainbow splash. As will writing the compressed img.gz to the SD card without uncompressing it first.

It would help if you explained what steps you have taken to create the SD cards, including names of the files you have downloaded/used.
After testing with LibraElec and OpenElec i´m about to give up on getting kodi back on my screen.
They both goes to boot loop with the lastest version of them both.
Not sure what the heck is going on..
Everything was working fine on my Pi 2, but the Pi 3 b+ is just shit for me.
Not even an install with noobs helps me.
(2018-04-21, 00:25)r33p0phph Wrote: [ -> ]Everything was working fine on my Pi 2, but the Pi 3 b+ is just shit for me.
If you are using LibreELEC on your RPi2 and you want to use a RPi 3 instead, you normally have to swap SD cards. One note: you have to update to the latest LibreELEC 8.2.5 version while using the RPi2, as the newest RPi3 needs some newer firmware.

Instead of the above you could also try a fresh install with 8.2.5.

Anyway, we already have plenty of users who are using the new RPi3 with LibreELEC. Not saying there might not be some issue. I've also heard about some broken devices. Maybe that's also the case for you.

What I'm trying to say is, that there's no "general problem" with installing LibreELEC 8.2.5 on the new RPi3. At least not that we know of.
On my RPI3+ I just took the SD card out of my RPI2 and put it in my RPI3+ and off it went.  I did make some changes to the config.txt first, mainly the overclock settings.
Also, unless you are using an Official powersupply you are going to have a bad time of it.  On my RPI2 I used a multiport powerblock that gives out 2.1 amps on each port.  It caused the RPI3+ to crash, a lot.
OSMC is the operating system. I do not use LibreELEC. the osmc operating system works just fine on my pi 2 b+ but not on the 3. I have a friend that uses the same setup and he is having the same issues with his pi 3 not booting.
There is no Pi 2 B+.  Did you move this card from the 2B?  Did you update to the most recent before moving to the 3?
(2018-05-22, 01:01)vioman19 Wrote: [ -> ]OSMC is the operating system. I do not use LibreELEC. the osmc operating system works just fine on my pi 2 b+ but not on the 3. I have a friend that uses the same setup and he is having the same issues with his pi 3 not booting.
Sounds like something for @Sam.Nazarko to have a look at.
Have you tried at the OSMC forum as well?
you're right only model 2 b. yes i have tried the most recent build.
Then try another sdcard or a better power supply. We have no reports of this issue on OSMC forums so, you and your friend seen to be the only people affected. Otherwise, start a thread at https://discourse.osmc.tv/c/help-and-sup...spberry-pi
Go to My OSMC -> Updates and make sure the device is up to date first if you are swapping the card from the Pi2 to Pi3.
I'd like to second those saying try a new PSU and/or SD card. When I was trying to put a Kodi 18 nightly on my RPi3+ I was getting constant boot failures. I was also getting a lot of low power warnings. I hadn't realised that the RPi3+ needs a more powerful PSU, something around 2.5A which most USB PSUs can't supply. Once I bought an official PSU everything worked just fine.