Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: IDIOT changes system language - how to reset
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Asking for a friend*.

OK... some idiot* tried to... well it doesn't matter what he... I... he... tried to do, but... now the system language in my Kodi 17.6 installation (on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) is in Japanese. That would be OK, except that my Ubuntu installation does not (apparently) have a Japanese Kanji font installed, so now nearly every character in the Kodi menu system is rendered as a rectangle with an X inside it. Not that I could read Kanji even if I tried, but if my system showed the actual Kanji, then my Japanese house guest could probably help me navigate back to where i need to get back to in order to restore the Kodi system back to English. Although I know by heart a lot of the Kodi menu structure (Confluence, by the way), I can't seem to navigate back to the page where I can change the system language back to English. 

Any suggestions? I can re-installed Kodi, of course, but I'd prefer not wipe and rebuild all of my library and settings.
Hi @soonerlater

Navigate to your userdata folder and look for the file guisettings.xml

Open the file, and around line 121, you should see the <language> tag. It probably says Japanese now.

Replace the line with this...

<language default="true">resource.language.en_gb</language>
Thank you. Problem solved.

For anyone reading this thread, look in ~/.kodi/userdata/
Thread marked solved.