Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playing .mkv file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have downloaded a test .mkv file given in another thread elsewhere on this forum and I have left it in the Windows Downloads folder.

However, when I navigate to that place from within Kodi the .mkv file does not show and, therefore, I cannot play it.

Can anyone advise me how I can get Kodi to find, recognise and play this file?

I am using Krypton 17.6 and Windows 10 on a NUC 5i5RYH.

This is the file,
http://trailers.divx.com/hevc/Sintel_4k_..._9subs.mkv

Thank you.
How are you navigating to the downloads folder? Is your Download folder a source that you have set in Videos>Files?
(2018-03-29, 22:12)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]How are you navigating to the downloads folder? Is your Download folder a source that you have set in Videos>Files?

From the home page I go VIDEOS>Files>Add videos>C: and then on to Downloads but it is not shown.

Edit: For clarification Downloads is the normal Downloads folder where everything downloaded goes first.

Edit: Downloads is indeed a source shown where you said, but still the file is not shown.
What is the full path in your source?
Might be some misunderstanding or overlook. add source, migrate to your download folder (cConfusedtuff/downloads) hit OK, under the set content page, this directly contains 'none' hit the exclude path on library update. Cancel any requester after that.... you should now have a source for c Confusedtuff /downloads that will show your.mkv for play. Otherwise a complete path with a debug log might show what's up.
(2018-03-30, 03:57)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Might be some misunderstanding or overlook. add source, migrate to your download folder (cConfusedtuff/downloads) hit OK, under the set content page, this directly contains 'none' hit the exclude path on library update. Cancel any requester after that.... you should now have a source for c Confusedtuff /downloads that will show your.mkv for play. Otherwise a complete path with a debug log might show what's up.

Thank you very much for that clarification. I can now get Kodi to see the file but on attempting to play it, Kodi crashes as it does with other X265 sources from other places. Although this is not really surprising as my NUC 5i5RYH is not meant to be able to decode the X265 codec fully, this file and others I have mentioned all play satisfactorily in VLC Player on the same box albeit the CPU is bouncing off 100% for some of the time.

It is pretty much confirming what I thought that I have got to buy another box to be able to play this new codec which is going to take over but the later NUCs are very expensive compared to Android boxes with the same capabilities in this respect.

Food for thought. Thank you and the others again for your attention.
Get a s905x android box and install libreelec.
(2018-03-30, 22:43)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Get a s905x android box and install libreelec.

Yes, for literally less than 10% of a high end NUC.