Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: grainy picture when playing larger movies, mainly MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I built my htpc about 4 months ago with what I thought was some fairly good hardware
CPU-   i3 7700 (3.9ghz)
RAM-  HyperX 4gb (x4 =16gb total)
SSD-   250gb Samsung
HDD-  2tb (3x)
PSU-   EVGA 800** modular 
MB-    MSI z270 gaming pro carbon
 Now to the problem I am having, If I download a movie (MKV) under ~5gb the picture quality looks ok but if I download a movie above ~5gb the picture starts to look grainy. If I watch the same say 30gb MKV file of say star wars on MPclassic the picture is great. I should also mention that my TV is 4k and I have kodi set to the 3840*2160 res setting. I know the movies I get r usually (almost always) 1080p but it don't make a difference if the movie is 720p,1080p, or a claimed 4k, If the file is larger the picture is grainy, I know the i3 7700 gen7 kabylake is fully supports 4k and I shouldn't require a graphics card.  I love kodi, and for the past 10+yrs since the xbmc days have been using it religiously and really hope I can figure out why I am having this problem with the help of all you fine, super people.  Smile
Video files sizes should have no effect on the video quality at all, unless they are so far compressed, that artifacts are created.
So either the source of your movie downloads (ahum) has a quality problem to begin with, or something else is wrong.
And since our crystal ball is in maintenance during the holidays, we'll need at least the Kodi debug log (wiki) to see what is possibly going wrong.