Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problems sometime switching from 60hz to 24hz when starting Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using the Nvidia Shield. When playing titles from Kodi I want to use only 4K 23.976hz, so I have Kodi video settings set to 3840 x 2160 and 23.976.

Question 1: In order to play Netflix at 4K apparently it is mandatory that the Shield be set to 4K 59.94hz, because if I have the Shield at 4K 23.976hz, there are no 4K Netflix options shown and nothing will play back in 4K. As soon as I restart Netflix with the Shield set to 4K 59.94, then I get the 4K options and 4K playback from Netflix works great.  Is there a way around this, or it is mandatory to use 59.94 for 4K Netflix as I think I have found?

Question 2 and BUG: The way I have handled this is that I set the Shield itself to 4K 59.94hz, and Kodi to 4K 23.976hz. This way when I go into Netflix it is happy and gives me 4K output at 60hz. And when I go into Kodi it gives me 4K 23.976hz when I start playing things back. So that is exactly how I want it to work. The issue, however, is that sometimes when I switch into Kodi from the Shield OS, Kodi continues to run at 59.94hz. This is confirmed by my display and AVR that show I am getting a 59.94hz signal. And even going into the Kodi video settings I see it is set to 23.976 as expected. So at this point I go to Kodi's option to Exit Kodi, and once it shuts show and I start it back up, then it loads from scratch the next time at 23.976.

This bug does not happen every time, and I am sure of the conditions that cause it. For example sometimes I can go from the Shield OS at 60hz into Kodi at 23.976hz, hit the Home button to go back to the Shield OS at 60hz, go back into Kodi at 23.976hz, back and forth like this with no issues.  But every once in a while, when I go into Kodi it says at 59.94hz.

Can someone say a possible workaround for this bug? And maybe the dev team can fix it? I am using the latest v18 nightly build, but it has been happening with many earlier nightly builds as well. I cannot say if it happens in v17 because I did not use this dual hz setup ever with v17.
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone may please have some feedback for me on what the issue may be and how it can be fixed, or maybe it requires a fix from the development team? Thank you for your assistance!