Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Creating sets and remembering position in library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope these are skin related issues. If not, sorry, please let me know and I will post some where else.

When I want to create a set the behavior is confusing and sometimes inconsistent.

Let's look at Prometheus. I have 5 versions;

1. Theatrical Blu-ray (124 mins)
2. Theatrical 3D (124 Mins)
3. 4K Theatrical Blu-ray (124 mins)
4. A version including all deleted scenes and a couple of other changes that I made myself. (156 mins)
5. A Special version I made for my son who wanted one deleted scene removed. (147 mins)

Firstly, to create the set I have to "Add" one of the titles to a new set. Then I have to "Add" a second one to a new set with the same name. From that point on I can then add the rest to that set. Adding one title to a set does not create the set - 95% of the time. On a couple of occasions I've ended up with three sets, even though I only "add" a new set twice.

Second, When I do manage to add a title to an existing set, the library is positioned at the start of the list. With 3500 titles in the list that takes quite some time to continually scroll through to get back to where I was. Is it possible to remember the position in the list?

And lastly, no matter what I do I cannot get version 5 to show the correct run time, with or without an .nfo file. It shows as 124 mins. For some reason, the 156 mins extended version shows correctly, but all others show as 124 mins.

For the sets issue this is a consistent problem for me when creating any set. The run time issue happens to some but not all movies. Avatar is another movie I integrated deleted scenes into. The theatrical run time is 162 mins. The extended version is 178 mins. My extended edit is 186 mins. The 186 min version shows as 162 mins. You get the idea.

thank you.
Hi Yanta.

Actually none of these issues are skin related at all, but I might be able to help you with some of it anyway.

(2018-04-09, 06:19)Yanta Wrote: [ -> ]When I want to create a set the behavior is confusing and sometimes inconsistent.

Let's look at Prometheus. I have 5 versions;

1. Theatrical Blu-ray (124 mins)
2. Theatrical 3D (124 Mins)
3. 4K Theatrical Blu-ray (124 mins)
4. A version including all deleted scenes and a couple of other changes that I made myself. (156 mins)
5. A Special version I made for my son who wanted one deleted scene removed. (147 mins)

Firstly, to create the set I have to "Add" one of the titles to a new set. Then I have to "Add" a second one to a new set with the same name. From that point on I can then add the rest to that set. Adding one title to a set does not create the set - 95% of the time. On a couple of occasions I've ended up with three sets, even though I only "add" a new set twice.

Which scraper do you use?
Universal Movie Scraper has a lot of settings and support for sets. As I remember, some of these settings are disabled by default, so you should look at the scraper settings.
The sets should be created automatic - they do for all my installations on different platforms.

You can look elsewhere on these forums for answers to your other issues related to this.

(2018-04-09, 06:19)Yanta Wrote: [ -> ]Second, When I do manage to add a title to an existing set, the library is positioned at the start of the list. With 3500 titles in the list that takes quite some time to continually scroll through to get back to where I was. Is it possible to remember the position in the list?

That's default Kodi behavoir.

You can jump to a letter pretty easy:
Shift/G will take you to the letter G.
Shift/P-R-O (quickly) will probably take you to Prometheus.

Or you can use Rapier's alphabet quick jump feature:
Skin settings > General > Use quick jump

(2018-04-09, 06:19)Yanta Wrote: [ -> ]And lastly, no matter what I do I cannot get version 5 to show the correct run time, with or without an .nfo file. It shows as 124 mins. For some reason, the 156 mins extended version shows correctly, but all others show as 124 mins.

For the sets issue this is a consistent problem for me when creating any set. The run time issue happens to some but not all movies. Avatar is another movie I integrated deleted scenes into. The theatrical run time is 162 mins. The extended version is 178 mins. My extended edit is 186 mins. The 186 min version shows as 162 mins. You get the idea.

thank you.

Version 5? Not sure what that is?

Can you please provide some screenshots, as I'm not quite sure what you mean?
Do you have info on runtime in your NFO's?

You can try checking with the default skin Estuary if that's the same behavoir.
Rapier gets the runtime from Kodi (directly from video files or NFO files) or addons (for sets etc.).
There is a problem with Windows in that when a PC boots mapped drives are disconnected. Kodi can't play or update when it can't access the shares. The solution is apparently to use a different access method. So I deleted all my sources. But I've been unable to connect with SMB so I'm sort of dead in the water.

Anyway the relevance is that I can't go back and check anything. My library is gone. I think I'll start from scratch (again)

Ok: Set: Some sets are being created automatically. Eg Spiderman, X-Men, Batman, etc... That works fine.

The problem occurs when I have several "versions" of one movie. They are not automatically placed in a set. I see (In the case of Prometheus), 5 entries in the list of movies.

I listed 5 versions of the movie. Version 5 was the 5th one - the 147 minute edited version.

Ok, so look at it this way. There are 3 copies of Prometheus on the server, the others are on disc.

They are named "Prometheus (2012).mkv", "Prometheus (2012) [Extended].mkv" and "Prometheus (2012) [Peyton].mkv
The nfo files are named exactly the same. Each nfo contains <runtime>xxx</runtime>

Correct me if I am wrong; When being scraped only "Prometheus (2012)" is used for scraping purposes.

Thanks for the tips re navigation. I looked at the keyboard mappings but didn't seen that.

I can't use Estuary. It crashes my PC every time I try to exit Kodi requiring a cold boot. That's how I ended up using Rapier Smile
Ok, I've restored my system from a Pre-Kodi install, reinstalled Kodi, and created my movies source using SMB://
I've scraped all my movies, but haven't fixed all the minor errors.
Anyway, here's a sample image as requested. As you can see there are three versions of the watchmen, and three for Warcraft. For Warcraft there is an extended version, a 3D version and a theatrical version. No set is created for this. I have to do it manually. Does it make sense what I was talking about now?

(2018-04-10, 09:10)Yanta Wrote: [ -> ]As you can see there are three versions of the watchmen,
Are all three scraped using the online scraper (usually TMDB)?
I assume so. Why wouldn't they? One of those is offline media, so it uses a .disc stub, but that only enables the display of messages.

I spent the better part of three hours last knight adding movies to sets, and only got to "F" in the alphabet.

Technically these are not sets, they are the same 1 movie with several different versions.

It seems what I have to do is export my library to separate nfo's, edit those nfo's adding the <sets></sets> tags to all relevant nfo's. Update the library.

But, if I understand the wiki correctly (and I usually don't), whilst I could add the <sets></sets> tags in an nfo, there is no metadata for these as sets as they are the same movie... (Section 3. of the wiki states Each movie required in a Movie Set must have Movie Set metadata. ), which I'm assuming comes from the scraper site (TMDb in this case)

The only reason I'm doing this is that I don't want to see multiple iterations of the same movie in the main library page.
(2018-04-11, 03:54)Yanta Wrote: [ -> ]But, if I understand the wiki correctly (and I usually don't), whilst I could add the <sets></sets> tags in an nfo, there is no metadata for these as sets as they are the same movie... (Section 3. of the wiki states Each movie required in a Movie Set must have Movie Set metadata. ), which I'm assuming comes from the scraper site (TMDb in this case)
Yes, it comes from the scraper site if the movie is part of a recognised collection/set. In your case, you are creating your own personal movie sets, so you need to add the information in some way. In your case, via NFO Files.

Have you considered just using the Chorus2 Web Interface? You might find it easier for bulk editing. Sorry, I haven't created a wiki page for it yet, but check out settings page... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Services/Control
(2018-04-11, 05:57)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-04-11, 03:54)Yanta Wrote: [ -> ]But, if I understand the wiki correctly (and I usually don't), whilst I could add the <sets></sets> tags in an nfo, there is no metadata for these as sets as they are the same movie... (Section 3. of the wiki states Each movie required in a Movie Set must have Movie Set metadata. ), which I'm assuming comes from the scraper site (TMDb in this case)
Yes, it comes from the scraper site if the movie is part of a recognised collection/set. In your case, you are creating your own personal movie sets, so you need to add the information in some way. In your case, via NFO Files.

Have you considered just using the Chorus2 Web Interface? You might find it easier for bulk editing. Sorry, I haven't created a wiki page for it yet, but check out settings page... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Services/Control   

That raises another question then. Say for example, Central Intelligence comes out with a sequel. Currently I have 3 versions of the movie. I've created my own set. When C.I. 2 comes out, and the metadata is created for these as a set, what will happen to my set? Will the scraper ignore the set metadata from TMDB or will it break my set, or something else?

I have Chrorus2 installed, I'll check it out.

I weighed up the options of editing the NFOs from the export and adding in the <sets>, but it will be far quicker just to do it from within the library
(2018-04-11, 06:05)Yanta Wrote: [ -> ]That raises another question then. Say for example, Central Intelligence comes out with a sequel. Currently I have 3 versions of the movie. I've created my own set. When C.I. 2 comes out, and the metadata is created for these as a set, what will happen to my set? Will the scraper ignore the set metadata from TMDB or will it break my set, or something else?
It depends...

1. If you have named the set in your library the same way it has been/or will be named at TMDB, then the sequel will be added to your set.
2. If you have named the set in your library differently to the way it has been/or will be named at TMDB, then you will have two sets, with the sequel in its own set.

This is a screenshot of Chorus2. If you enlarge it you can see that there is a field for Sets. It has to be easier to paste a set name, than it is to edit nfo's and re-scrape...
As @Gade already mentioned, this is not skin related so I will move your thread to Metadata Add-ons
(2018-04-11, 06:45)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]As @Gade already mentioned, this is not skin related so I will move your thread to Metadata Add-ons
 No problems, Thanks for that. I figured it was not something I could do myself.
It's actually quicker and easier to manually create the sets within Kodi as there is no set name to paste.

To Create a set in Kodi these are the steps I have to go through. I don't know if this is the intended process, but simply adding one movie to a set does not create a set.

1. Right Click 1st movie for new set, manage, manage set, add new set, type a set name, click done.
2. The 1st movie is moved to the last position in the list
3. Right Click 1st movie for new set, manage, manage set, add new set, type a set name, click done.
4. The 2nd movie is moved to the last position in the list
3. Right Click 1st movie for new set, manage, manage set, now locate the new set and select any that are not in blue (part of the set), and click OK.

As time consuming as this is , this is actually quicker and easier because I have the movies right next to each other in the library.

The nfo method is far more time consuming because I have nfo's in different places, and not every movie is duplicated. Matching is slow and tedious and I have to go backwards and forwards adding set info then pasting it into other nfos.

Ditto for the Chorus process.

Remember one of my first posts... My folder structure is named by Genre, and 3D movies are in a separate folder. Not ideal for Kodi, but the structure was never designed with Kodi in mind (It was set up in 2004 and hasn't changed since then).

I tried to add my TV shows source back, and it didn't take, so I deleted the source, and it tool all my movies with it. Lucky for me I took your advice and exported the library last night. All I lost was the 1 hours of creating sets that I did this morning. Lesson learned.

I will now do exports regularly when I am modifying the library Smile