Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 4k HDR Content washed out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, the equipment list is:

1) steiger dynamics + gtx 1080 video card
2) epson 5040ub projector (faux 4k + HDR)

Every movie that I play remuxed from full HDR looks very washed out, even some movies when changing the color mapping on the projector to BT2020, they look a little bit "better" but still feel diluted with "WHITE"... not sure whats going on but im guessing i have the wrong settings on kodi? so I guess the first question is, has anyone had this issue before? if so, what are the recommendations to "tweak" or "calibrate"
Which kodi version? Before v18 there was no tone napping at all.
Hi! Thanks for replying, 17.3 is the version
(2018-04-15, 12:20)mhbernheim Wrote: [ -> ]Hi! Thanks for replying, 17.3 is the version
 As said above. Doesn't make me wonder at all. Upgrade to version 18.
should I do nightly build?
(2018-04-15, 13:20)mhbernheim Wrote: [ -> ]should I do nightly build?
 I try to be more clear: If you want HDR Tone-Mapping you need to use a v18 nightly build, this will introduce other instabilities, might be incompatible with your current addons and so on.
thanks fritsch!
Hi! installed nightly build v18, i see theres color management option now, however all movies played look grainy, over saturated in color... not sure whats going on but it feels like the colors are "OVER VIBRANT"? they are definitely grainy though, this doesnt happen in 17, only with 18
no cigar?
Well, not sure what you expect.

Obvisously, trying to squeeze high luminance range into a standard one comes with a tradeoff.
Or you have full details but with the "washed out" effect, or you have decent contrast, but with burnt whites.

The path of best quality is to not attempt to play hdr on an sdr display Wink
I love you devs. Since Kodi 18 supports BT.2020 (and I presume, use the BT.2020 yuv2rgb coefficients), it's a simple matter of using the built-in 3DLut feature to properly convert to SDR. (At least for Linux, don't know if it's implemented properly for Windows yet).

It's not just about tone mapping (which will vary depending on what how many nits the SDR display is set to, also it's useless to tonemap 10000nits, since all current movies have a MaxCLL value between 1000 and 4000 nits), it's also needs gamut mapping (which again should actually not target the bt.2020 color space but D65/DCI-P3 inside a BT.2020 container), and black point and gamma compensation (if you use your display at say 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4 gamma). You need to use a 3DLut, you cannot fake this. I realize including a lot of big 3DLUT files is not very practical. The best would to mimic a proper on-the-fly conversion like madVR is able to, and use the 3DLUT for the ones that require the absolute best quality)

Here's a few 3DLuts you could try. These should work beautifully. Just use the one that looks best for your display. They target a gamma of 2.2.

https://mega.nz/#!5uQAEC5Y!_sfHlVBKsNs1t...j7zqEFFCKE

EDIT: have to take back some of things I wrote. It seems at least the Windows version applies some automatic color management when playing (some or all) HDR files.
thanks for replying, but the epson 5040 does  supprt hdr (or atleast thats what the salesman told me!) i upgraded the firmware on it today and will give this another go, the video card on it also is supposed to support HDR (gt1030)
thanks! ill give this a go later today when I get home
(2018-04-27, 22:03)Soli Wrote: [ -> ]I love you devs. Since Kodi 18 supports BT.2020 (and I presume, use the BT.2020 yuv2rgb coefficients), it's a simple matter of using the built-in 3DLut feature to properly convert to SDR. (At least for Linux, don't know if it's implemented properly for Windows yet).

It's not just about tone mapping (which will vary depending on what how many nits the SDR display is set to, also it's useless to tonemap 10000nits, since all current movies have a MaxCLL value between 1000 and 4000 nits), it's also needs gamut mapping (which again should actually not target the bt.2020 color space but D65/DCI-P3 inside a BT.2020 container), and black point and gamma compensation (if you use your display at say 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4 gamma). You need to use a 3DLut, you cannot fake this. I realize including a lot of big 3DLUT files is not very practical. The best would to mimic a proper on-the-fly conversion like madVR is able to, and use the 3DLUT for the ones that require the absolute best quality)

Here's a few 3DLuts you could try. These should work beautifully. Just use the one that looks best for your display. They target a gamma of 2.2.

https://mega.nz/#!5uQAEC5Y!_sfHlVBKsNs1t...j7zqEFFCKE

EDIT: have to take back some of things I wrote. It seems at least the Windows version applies some automatic color management when playing (some or all) HDR files.
 I was gonna say, I was trying these LUTs last night and while the made improvements, human skin tones could only be described as 'supremely orange'.
Keep in mind there are different HDR formats, so if the source is HDR10 you potentially have the issue of color mapping BT.2020 to BT.709 if your display expects that, but also HDR10 uses the PQ (ST 2084) transfer function so you have to convert to gamma 2.2/BT.1886.

scott s.
Pages: 1 2