Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi keeps changing resolution? How to lock 1920x1080p?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a HD tv (1920x1080 ), onkyo nr626 received and nuc based windows 10 Kodi.

Frequently, on reboot or on resume from windows screensaver, Kodi keeps changing resolution to 1024x768.

I keep changing it back through system settings.

Is there a way to permanently lock in 1920x1080p?
Kodi doesn't change resolutions.
Could you help me understand a bit better?

Ultimately I keep coming back to Kodi and changing the resolution, but if something else is causing it it would be great to know how to fix it?
It's the GPU driver that's in charge of resolutions.
So how can I resolve this? Why does it only happen to Kodi?
Does it also happen when the Onkyo AVR is taken out of the video chain?
Did you check in the GPU control panel to see if the resolution has changed? Or is it just Kodi that has changed its resolution?
(2018-04-19, 19:11)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you check in the GPU control panel to see if the resolution has changed? Or is it just Kodi that has changed its resolution?

I have checked this and it seems only Kodi has changed the resolution. The windows resolution is still correct .. 1920x1080. If I go into window mode by pressing “\” within Kodi, the Kodi window is much smaller than the rest of the windows background...

I wonder is there a way I could force Kodi to keep the 1920x1080 resolution?
(2018-06-13, 13:33)l2oBiN Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-04-19, 19:11)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you check in the GPU control panel to see if the resolution has changed? Or is it just Kodi that has changed its resolution?

I have checked this and it seems only Kodi has changed the resolution. The windows resolution is still correct .. 1920x1080. If I go into window mode by pressing “\” within Kodi, the Kodi window is much smaller than the rest of the windows background...

I wonder is there a way I could force Kodi to keep the 1920x1080 resolution? 
@l2oBiN  Did you figure anything out for this because my screen resolution is acting funky like this and continues to change. When I go from windowed to full screen, change takes 1-2 seconds, and screen is blacked during that time.
I recently upgraded to the latest Kodi  19.3  and yes I can confim there is something about Kodi that it keeps changing the resolution on my screen.  Now the odd thing is - in windows it still says its set to 1920x1080 but the screen is all compressed and small - so if i tell that to use any other resolution than go back to 1920x1080 all is fine - until the next time I use Kodi and turn off my projector afterwards, I turn the screen back on and its all tiny small and compressed again.  Im not sure if its from alt-tabbing or from just letting kodi idle for so long but its quite annoying.
(2022-01-08, 21:55)gabaod Wrote: [ -> ]I recently upgraded to the latest Kodi  19.3  and yes I can confim there is something about Kodi that it keeps changing the resolution on my screen. 

Try renaming/deleting the guisettings.xml file, and (re)start Kodi. It should create a new & fresh settings file. See if that clears up things.
I had similar problems years ago.  Unexplained resolution changes, color space changes, etc.  I think it depends on how robust (or alternatively, how crappy) your video drivers are.

I narrowed it down to happening when the AVR and TV were shut off and turned back on.  And $hitty ATI/AMD drivers.

I solved the problem with one of these magical devices...

https://hdfury.com/product/dr-hdmi/

It's a simple little device that sits on your HDMI cable between the video card and the AVR.  It memorizes the AVR's capabilities, and then keeps pushing those to the computer so even when the AVR and/or the TV are off, the video card still "sees" them as on from the DR-HDMI signal.  Solved all the problems 100%.  Never loses its display or audio settings after installing that, but was jekyl and hyde before.

Cheers
TRJB
(2018-04-18, 12:52)l2oBiN Wrote: [ -> ]Frequently, on reboot or on resume from windows screensaver, Kodi keeps changing resolution to 1024x768
Might have something to do with the windows screensaver, try it without. If the handshaking fails between TV and your gfx engine, default would apply and saved for next launch, always shut down Kodi first.