Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Leia - improve user experience for subtitle users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear all,

I think this could be easily/quickly solved by someone with proper knowledge of Kodi's core internals. I might have a go at it however it will likely take me 10x more time Smile

Leia finally grouped all the subtitle settings in the same dialog (instead of grouping them with audio settings) which is a great improvement over past versions. I was used to the subtitles icon in estuary to quickly download subtitles to the content I was watching but I guess I'll get used to the new subtitles dialog location.

The problem with the current workflow is the number of steps needed from downloading a subtitle and actually watch the media with the grabbed subtitle. Since "Download subtitles" was previously accessible via the video OSD, a single click after selecting a subtitle in the list would close the subtitle download dialog, would unpause the video and move users back to watching media.

Right now, after selecting a subtitle the subtitle download dialog is closed but the subtitle settings dialog is left open. A user has to perform 3 clicks from the moment he/she selects the subtitle:

1) Download the subtitle
2) Close the subtitles settings dialog
3) hide the video osd

In my opinion there is no reason to left the settings dialog open when downloading a subtitle. Any adjustment to the downloaded subtitle (e.g. changing the offset) requires the user to watch a bit of the media file to see if the subtitle is in sync.

My feature request would be to minimize the number of required clicks bringing back part of the old behaviour:

Download subtitles -> select subtitle -> back to playing movie/show

Thanks a lot

edit: solved in latest Leia nightlies (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13975)
It would also be helpful if a subtitle is re-loaded when a video is restarted after a pause. Especially when you are trying to sync a subtitle with an external tool.
Perhaps have Kodi doing a timestamp-check on a subtitle file, and when it changed, reload it?

Right now, the video has to be completely stopped and restarted before the updated version of the subtitle is combined with the video.
(2018-04-20, 12:02)enen92 Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with the current workflow is the number of steps needed from downloading a subtitle and actually watch the media with the grabbed subtitle
I partially solved that via a remapped keyboard key. Not just for activating the subtitle search, but also the subtitle and audio syncs. It saves me a couple of clicks.

xml:
<keymap>
<FullScreenVideo>
<F5>ActivateWindow(SubtitleSearch)</F5>
<left mod="ctrl">subtitledelayminus</left>
<right mod="ctrl">subtitledelayplus</right>
<left mod="ctrl,shift">audiodelayminus</left>
<right mod="ctrl,shift">audiodelayplus</right>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>
Quote:The problem with the current workflow is the number of steps needed from downloading a subtitle and actually watch the media with the grabbed subtitle.
There is also no hotkey for opening subtitles list. No way to quickly choose subtitle. =(
(2018-04-20, 12:02)enen92 Wrote: [ -> ]My feature request would be to minimize the number of required clicks bringing back part of the old behaviour:

+1
Hello

In Kodi Krypton mapping "ActivateWindow(SubtitleSearch)" to a key opened the download search window. I know that's not possible in Leia but is there a way to map a key to the open subtitles window. At the moment "ActivateWindow(SubtitleSearch)" just switches subtitles on and off if they exist which isn't particularly useful.

BTW I am using Coreelec on an S905 device but I don't think that should make any difference.

Thanks
Of course the mapping works in Leia.
I use CoreElec 8.90.4 too, and it works.
This is what I have in my gen.xml file in the /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps folder with Keymap Editor add on installed:

<keymap>
    <global>
        <keyboard>
            <key id="199">stop</key>
            <key id="198">fastforward</key>
            <key id="200">rewind</key>
            <key id="40">activatewindow(subtitlesearch)</key>
        </keyboard>
    </global>
</keymap>

These are the actions when pressing the button mapped to subtitles:
- If I am playing a pre-downloaded video with no subtitle file, pressing the mapped button does nothing.
- If there is already a subtitle file downloaded, pressing the button toggles subtitles on and off.
- If I switch on the OSD (press enter, pause, etc) and then pressing the subtitle button brings up the download subtitles menu

What I can't do is get straight to Subtitle settings or download subtitles with a keypress - have you been able to do this?
You need to put the activatewindow(subtitlesearch) action under the <fullscreenvideo> tag. Look at the config @Klojum posted above.
I'm afk atm, can't write the correct config now.

Edit: just replace <global> with <fullscreenvideo> on your keymap.
It works for you when gui is visible because then the <global> tag applies.
Thanks - that was it. Works same as Krypton now.
Thread marked solved.