Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi SMB Media Library Scan Stops on some folders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
New Android box setup with Vanilla 17.6.  I add my media folders from my Win10 server, and start a library scan, its picks up a few folders, but always stops at the same one(s), with "Scanning TV shows using the TVDB:100%".  The percentage will vary depending upon the folder.  In this case it is stalling when scanning my DVD rip of Family Guy.

I have tried using wireless and wired, using the server IP address and the server name, two different android boxes, deleting all .nfos and .xml files from the folder.  Uninstalled artwork downloader, two different kodi boxes, and rescraping all the meta data for folders.

I haven't tried it on my main HTPC (same Win10 machine as the server) as I don't want to lose the files / folders from the library (the original scan worked fine).

The log below was left for a few mins, but I left the android box scanning all night with no progress.

It doesn't have any issues with my movies library, just the TV library.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated.

Edit: Running on Libreelec, so could a mod please move if this should be in the Linux forum.

Thx
Pastebin Full Log
Thread moved to Linux as requested.

How long are you leaving it before judging it's stopped? If there are a lot of files in the folder it could take some time to process them all, and may appear to have stopped when it's chugging away in the background still perhaps?
Last night it was going for about 6 hours and stuck on Family Guy.

I've just tried changing the information provider to Local Host only, and again it stopped on Family Guy.
OK.

What is the structure of that folder? How many files does it contain and how are they structured (sub-folders for seasons etc)?

If you go in via the videos > files menu and try to add the folder to the library from that (via the context menu) does it also stop that way?

There are a few network errors in the log, such as:
Code:
00:00:29.537 T:3914339232    INFO: SMBFile->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://USER:[email protected]/Recorded%20TV/Comedy/An%20Idiot%20Abroad/Season%201/aaf-an.idiot.abroad.s01e06.pdtv.avi'
                                            unix_err:'65' error : 'Network is unreachable'

00:00:30.313 T:3897562016   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/kszaq/LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-devel/LibreELEC-settings-f3bf1f2/.install_pkg/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.libreelec.settings/oe.py", line 271, in load_url
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 154, in urlopen
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 429, in open
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 447, in _open
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 407, in _call_chain
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1241, in https_open
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1198, in do_open
                                            URLError: <urlopen error [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution>

but nothing I can easily see specifically for the Family Guy media.

What might be clearer is if you can set debug logging on, reboot and then try the scraping of that specific folder as described above, then upload that log and post its link so we have something specific to the issue to review in case it makes things clearer.
Just moved Family Guy folder out of the Recorded TV folder, and rescanned it.  The scan worked fine with Fawlty Towers, but then ceased again with Modern Family.

Directory Structure is :

Recorded TV/Comedy/Family Guy/Season 1
                                                    /Season 2
                                                    /Season 3 etc
Files are named as following example: Family.Guy.s01e01.Death.Has.a.Shadow  or family_guy.3x01.the_thin_white_line

I removed the whole comedy folder from the library and then added family guy folder through the videos/files method you described with interesting results:
                              1) rescanning without "single TV show" enabled, resulted in it picking up the files but getting them completely wrong eg Season 1, was detected as "Formula 1 season review", season 2 as "The gate Season 2"
                              2) rescanning with "single TV show" resulted in a freeze at 0% (just the scanner froze)

However, two new things have started on my main box....it now initiates a scan on start up regardless of whether or not the box for automatic start up is ticked, and more problematic, the kodi log uploader addon fails telling me to look at the log, but the log (that I can view in Kodi) doesn't list anything...grrrr

I'll wipe the mem card and start from scratch when I get back after the weekend.  I'm already late and my better half is not going to be pleased, so I have to fly.  I'll reinstall everything and try again next week.

Thank you ever so much for your help in the meantime.
My Kodi is also suddenly picking up shows as Formula 1 and The Gate, driving me nuts!
Fixed, but not certain of solution.

Most of my directories had left overs from old media managers / scrapers, eg "thumbs.db", "series.xml" files and "metatdata" folders" as well as the usual "folder, poster, banner etc" jpgs. 

With regard to the family guy series, I had to delete all the saved files apart from the actual videos.  I also had to rename some files as the Kodi TVDB scraper didn't seem to like different naming formats (eg "family.guy.s01e04" and "aaff-family guy - s1e5" in the same season folder.

Some other series just seemed to need the "series.xml"file or "metadata" folder deleting.  Other series scanned with all this stuff intact.

What I did notice is that most (but not all) of the folders that the Kodi scraper hung on, were listed in Ember media manager with files elsewhere linked.  eg in Ember, Modern Family (that froze on scanning) had two strange seasons (eg Season 345645) linking to two video files in the Helix TV series directory.  Modern Family had one similarly strange season linking to a .flv file in the Family Guy/backdrops folder.

Bottom line....problem was caused by either irregular file naming, or spurious (and possibly corrupt) metadata, database or nfo files.  Starnge that in earlier versions of Kodi this wasn't an issue, or that the log didn't pick up where the actual failure was....Kodi just seemed to stop the scan and think about what to do next.

Thank you for your help DarrenHill
You're welcome Smile Glad it's resolved.

Thread marked solved.