Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Network access Alpha 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My set-up:
Xbox one --> trying to connect to Dlink-323 NAS

As soon as I select SMB, I am met with a screen that says "cannot connect"

The Network tab on Kodi has this:
Link: Connected
MAC address: unknown
IP address: 192.168 etc
Subnet mask:
Gateway:
Primary DNS:
Secondary DNS:
Internet: Connected

So it seems that Kodi is not connecting to my gateway

When I run Kodi Krypton on a PC, all the above fields are populated, and as soon as I select SMB, I'm immediately given a bunch of network attached choices (including my Dlink NAS) to choose from.

Thanks.
Same thing happens to me. I am using a windows server NAS. Guess we’ll have to wait for a further release.
I also setup a shared folder on my windows PC, and tried to connect to it via SMB, didn't work.
When I switched over to the native media player in the xbox, it saw the shared folder right away.
What version of Windows do you use?

I created password protected shared  folder on Windows 10 (version 1709) and works like a charm.
(2018-04-21, 14:25)nikey22 Wrote: [ -> ]I also setup a shared folder on my windows PC, and tried to connect to it via SMB, didn't work.
Your Windows PC probably updated to SMBv2 instead of SMBv1. (Remember the worldwide WannaCry hack?)

SMBv2 requires a user account WITH a password, and it no longer supports network browsing. So use "Add a network location..." in Kodi, and put in the full credentials of the Windows user.
(2018-04-21, 00:39)nikey22 Wrote: [ -> ]When I run Kodi Krypton on a PC, all the above fields are populated, and as soon as I select SMB, I'm immediately given a bunch of network attached choices (including my Dlink NAS) to choose from.
Not all fields can be abteined on uwp platfrom. If there's an IP adress it means that all is connected.
(2018-04-21, 22:13)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]SMBv2 requires a user account WITH a password,

Empty password is allowed. It's possible to enable Guest account and use it without a password.
(2018-04-22, 17:40)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]It's possible to enable Guest account and use it without a password.
Hmpf... Okay, thanks Smile
(2018-04-21, 22:13)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]SMBv2 requires a user account WITH a password, and it no longer supports network browsing. So use "Add a network location..." in Kodi, and put in the full credentials of the Windows user. 

Did XBMC use SMBv1?

Let me give you an example. Lets say, I have ALL the computers in my home turned off, and only the NAS operational. Its a simple NAS, DNS-323, has 2 drives; Its old and cheap.
In my XBMC box that's still operational, I'm able to access the volumes on it even with all the computers in the home turned off (no Windows credentials entered).
In XBMC there was a "browse" button, when you click on it you get "WORKGROUP", then clicking on that gives you the networked devices like the NAS and any other computer that is on and sharing folders.

In XBOX ONE Kodi, looks like the browse button is greyed out, like you said I guess SMBv2 doesn't support browsing. So what credentials do I use to establish a connection with a simple standalone NAS?
(2018-04-23, 03:04)nikey22 Wrote: [ -> ]Did XBMC use SMBv1?
Considering the fact that the name XBMC stopped with v13 Gotham 4-5 years ago, and SMBv2 only materialized since last year, I'd say the answer is 'yes'.

(2018-04-23, 03:04)nikey22 Wrote: [ -> ]So what credentials do I use to establish a connection with a simple standalone NAS?
The credentials of the NAS user that is providing the file shares. That could be 'admin' (and its password), but perhaps you created one or more extra users on your NAS.
If you can browse to find it, then it's using SMB1. That's the only version of SMB which supports browsing - neither SMB2 nor SMB3 have that capability (unfortunately).
Thank you for the above replies, they were spot on.

progress:

I've set up a user accnt and passwd for a windows 10 PC and shared a folder. It was instantly recognized by Kodi, and I was able to view the movie without problems.

I've set up a USER and PASSWD for the NAS through its internal webUI.  When trying to access the share folder, Kodi freezes. But the Xbox is not frozen. I'm able to cancel Kodi with the center Xbox button.
I setup permissions through the webUI of the NAS to read/write, and I'm able to browse the folders in a windows 7 PC by entering the credentials so I know the share is good.
I think a log-dump would be helpful here to see what Kodi is trying to do while in its frozen state.

Its possible this old NAS doesn't deal well with SMBv2

maybe QNAP or Synology NAS users can chime in?

I'll try to set up a quick share using freenas on another PC in the house and report back. Freenas can be setup with v2 or v3 SMB protocols.
Some NAS manufacturers tend to be on the lazy site when it comes to keeping their NAS software/firmware uptodate.
Synology is definitely (in my own experience) very active in updating their products, and QNap probably is as well.

I use simple Ubuntu pc machines as NFS servers. SMB is probably possible too, but NFS is easier to set up.
(2018-04-24, 13:16)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]I use simple Ubuntu pc machines as NFS servers. SMB is probably possible too, but NFS is easier to set up.
So do you keep the NFS server (PC) on all the time?
I could do the same, but I was always thinking it is less costly electrically to keep a simple NAS device on, rather than a full PC.
Thanks.
(2018-04-24, 13:16)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Synology is definitely (in my own experience) very active in updating their products, and QNap probably is as well.
 Yes, I checked on QNAP, here is a snip of their release notes for their latest QTS 4.3.3.0514 Build 20180402 firmware

[Fixed Issues]
- NFS Service would stop functioning after users browsed NFS shared folders from Kodi.

awesome eh?
Pages: 1 2