Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Setup recommendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Raspberry Pi as a dedicated Kodi box (plus for a couple of other cool uses, see below). I'm pretty new to both the Pi and associated network considerations, so please bear with me.

How do I best set myself up, given the following constraints/realities:

- Hardwired router in my office, about 50' (mostly line of sight) away from my living room TV
- Laptop (Windows 10) in my office, hardwired to the router but of course also wifi capable
- WiFi only in my living room. Decent but not spectacular signal strength (usually ~50-60 dB). My landlord won't allow any new wiring, plugs etc Sad
- Ancient TV, no ethernet port and only two HDMI ports, both taken (Chromecast and my cable company's PVR)

Currently, I'm streaming Kodi from my laptop using a static IP, Chrome ==> Cast to ==> Chromecast, and the Kore app on my android for remote control. It works ok, but is kinda clunky.

So, first question, can a reasonably late model Pi pull triple duty: (1) Kodi server (2) Retro game machine for the kids (RetroPie) and (3) Hardware to attach a fairly basic NAS to?

Second question, how do I best deal with the "no ethernet in LR" issue? Another physical router next to the TV? Connect with PowerLine or gamble with wifi? Or, could I simply plug the Pi into an availabe ethernet port on the router, leave always-on, and just toggle AV sources on my TV on demand? And how well might that work with a little Kodi-orientd 3rd party remote remote? The remote would always be querying a static IP, but I assume the wifi signal signal between remote in LR and Kodi box in my office must be strong(er?) to be reliable. I'd like everything to run smooth a silk, am worried about potential wifi latency though.

Or is there something blatantly obvious that I've overlooked?
The wifi module on the latest Raspberry Pi, the 3B+, has more grunt and capabilities than its predecessor, so that helps. A decent USB wifi stick with its own bigger antenna is also a option. Still, wifi results are very unique to each building/apartment situation. Whenever you can use a cable solution, go for it. You will likely have a better response and overall throughput with a cable.

The RPi only uses a 1-3 Watts (idle to max), so there are plenty of people keeping it running 24/7, but also because there is no real on/off-switch on the device... Smile

The RPi will have to go into one of the two HDMI ports on the TV. You could also try and use a HDMI switch of some sort, or a more capable (expensive..) audio/video receiver for more HDMI connections.

As far as wiring goes, there are also sticky cable management solutions to guide your cables, where no drilling or plugs are involved. Perhaps those are not always the most aesthetic solutions, they do do the job.

About remotes: the RPi also supports CEC, meaning if your TV supports it as well, you can use the TV remote to browse around the Kodi menus. No additional hardware required. Alternatively, a FLIRC module has been very popular.

A bit more technical: The RPi 3B+ supports booting from USB devices, so you're not limited to micro sd cards. Larger external USB drives can also hold whatever operating system you run for your Kodi solution.

One final thing: Kodi and Chromecast are not exactly best buddies. Kodi is open-source software, where as Chromecast is closed proprietary software by Google. But I guess you found that out already.
Thank you, that was a very informative and helpful response.

So if you're saying that the Pi *has to* plug directly into the TV, then one of three things will happen: 1. Bye bye Chromecast 2. Cheap HDMI multi-jack adapter or 3. "Honey, we need a new TV!" (I wish)

I think I'll go for the latest Pi (P3 Model B+) and hope for the best with its new dual band LAN. With my ethernet-challenged apartment though, I suspect I'll have to top up signal with a bridged router or an ethernet powerline kit. Wait and see.

You didn't specifically speak to my NAS question... but on second thought, the hassle of potentially implementing it here in my apartment isn't worth it. I'll buy a dedicated $50 1.5TB USB Drive for the Pi, that's tons of space for OS, movies, games etc.

A side question - I think I've decided on OSMC ...minimal, self updating, plays nice with Kodi and with Retro Pie. Just thought I'd mention it for any comments since I'm posting anyway.
Option 4: keep changing the HDMI plugs that go into your TV... You can only watch/do things one at a time on the TV anyway.

The NAS.. A real NAS carrying movies or other data is usually connected directly via ethernet to the router or a switch, so all connected devices in the local network can make use of it (other Kodi clients, smartphones, etcetera). Connecting it directly to a RPi via USB will change that and make the RPi do that heavy lifting.

Yeah, a RPi can do a lot, but I'm not sure that multitasking is the best option when also doing games and stuff. The newest RPi is also still a low-powered device, leaning a lot on its GPU when doing Kodi, Retro games stuff, and whatnot. OSMC is a good get, they also have their own forum for more specific questions other than regarding Kodi.
Quick look on Amazon, and there's a $20 solution to avoid Option 4 (phew): a simple 3 port switch box with a little remote to toggle ports.

I keep flip flopping on the whole NAS idea. And although I've read articles on how to use a Pi for a NAS, you're right: NAS duty (especially in conjunction with Kodi and gaming) is a lot to expect from a little Pi. So if I take NAS out of the equation, I guess I really don't need to worry about ethernet in my living room at all. I'd just plug a standalone hard drive into the Pi, the Pi into the TV with HDMI, and be done with it.

If I do decide to pursue NAS, I guess I'll first need to bring Ethernet close to the TV. The sales folks at my local computer place are suggesting buying a higher end WiFi router, parking it near the TV, and bridging it to my (ISP provided) router in my office. But this whole "Ethernet-over-wifi" idea sounds pretty iffy to me. Don't know if it would be better or worse than a Powerline solution. I may just try both router and PowerLine, keep the more robust option, homebrew my Kodi/game/NAS Pi up, and see how it goes.

I'd say "stay tuned" but this is a discussion forum, not a blog lol

Thanks again for all the help!
My advice would be to cable the house for ethernet.  Not hard to do yourself or expensive if you take your time and think about it.  I have tried all of the wireless/homeplug adaptor type solutions.  When I look at the time I wasted diagnosing faults and the money I wasted buying homeplugs, it would have been easier and cheaper to do it properly the first time.  Since cabling my house my Kodi experience is almost faultless.
(2018-04-23, 19:42)YVR_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]The sales folks at my local computer place are suggesting buying a higher end WiFi router
How surprizing Wink
*Only* if that new router has gigabit ports and better wifi capabilities than your current router, otherwise I'd look away.
@Klojum , absolutely and that's what they're pitching.

@speedwell68 , make complete sense and I'd love to, but my landlord won't let me run cables, install plugs, etc. Powerline or bridged wifi are the only options I can see. I wish I at least had coax for a MoCA solution but once again, sorry about my luck  Angry
(2018-04-24, 00:27)YVR_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]@speedwell68 , make complete sense and I'd love to, but my landlord won't let me run cables, install plugs, etc. Powerline or bridged wifi are the only options I can see. I wish I at least had coax for a MoCA solution but once again, sorry about my luck  Angry
 That is where my landlord is a diamond.  As long as it is done properly she didn't care, why would she I am modernising her house.