Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Start TV/Soundbar on playback with CEC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

i kind of have the same issue as this guy here, BUT ...

a) my use case is a little different
b) i am still unsure if this is working as intended
or c) i'm hitting a bug - if so, i will gladly provide all required debug information (logs) of course

1) My setup
Just the very basic facts...
I'm running kodi on a NUC like platform, following mostly fritsch's install guide for ubuntu
P8 USB Adapter
LG TV <-- (ARC) --> LG Soundbar <-- --> NUC/Kodi
NUC/Kodi are always running!

2) My use case
Since kodi is always running, i like to use my Smartphone (Kore) to start playback
*) When i start PVR Radio, i just want the Soundbar to turn on - not the TV
*) When i start any Video playback, i want the TV and Soundbar to turn on

3) The problem(s)
CEC generally seems to work. I.e. i can control kodi with my TV remote
I can turn on my TV or soundbar using cec-client
However, neither TV nor soundbar are activated on playback using Kore for instance
Yes, i have tried fiddling with Settings -> System -> Input devices -> Peripherals -> CEC adapter

4) The question(s)
*) So my biggest question is, is this normal Kodi behavior (which i doubt) or am i hitting some bug?
*) Do the "on startup" CEC settings only relate to Kodi application startup or also "playback start"?
*) Using the script from the Thread above, kodi will start my TV+soundbar on playback - i still cannot believe that this is "the" solution, and we are the only two people with that use case.

5) Outlook
Lets assume there really is need for a custom script/addon to achieve what i want,
from what i can see CECActivateSource does not take any arguments.
So there is currently no way to ONLY turn on the soundbar, since kodi locks the ttyACM device, right?
I'm thinking, maybe a new built-in function, lets call it CECRaw, could/should be implemented to pass CEC commands to the bus even with kodi running.
Accessing the CEC bus with kodi running seems to be a hot discussed topic anyway, its kinda suprising that there is no real solution to it yet, no?

regards,
kleinem