Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advice on upgrading my HTPC (W10)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to be able to play 4K content on my HTPC through Kodi and wondered if anyone else has a Windows 10 device that plays 4K @ 60Hz?

Currently I am using an old dell laptop and prior to that I used an intel NUC that failed. I am considering a fanless NUC but wondered what other options are in use....

I would prefer to stick with a windows build than android / pi as we use Aeon Madnox as our skin and this needs a decent CPU to work well, I would like to be able output 5.1 and 4K over HDMI to my Yamaha 4K amp.
In my view:

For a Windows approach on using only Kodi, you could have a look at Intel graphics based boards using the J5005 chips. (Asrock is a strong contender). Anything above that depends on the size of your wallet.
There is also the Nvidia GT1030 (passively cooled) approach. Get the GDDR5 instead of the SDDR3 slower/less grunty version. However, no official Netflix support (yet?).
AMD Ryzen comes to mind, but its drivers are not you up to par with the others. Also, AMD chips tend to eat more electricity overall. On idle: Intel 9th Gen vs AMD Ryzen: 1.5 W vs 9.5 W (roughly).

If Netflix UHD (4K) is a requirement: latest generation Intel Core chips only, Nvidia GTX1050 3MB and above, AMD seems to finally have driver support (not sure for which GPUs).
At this stage we have no requirement for netflix 4K, the gt 1030 passive low profile is available for around £70. this would be the cheapest solution to get something rigged up quickly.  

We have an old htpc running a 2nd gen i5, this has ssd with 16gb RAM - would this work with the gt 1030 in or would a better cpu also be needed? If so then I will start looking into a total new build Smile - i expect the card might not work in the system anyway as it only has a 265w psu but that can be changed too if needed..
Video playing requires much GPU acceleration, which the GT1030 can do. The CPU is secondary in those matters. A simple CPU is enough already

As far as the PSU is concerned, I'm running my current office/htpc machine (an oldie Core i3 3225 Ivy Bridge + 3 SSDs + a GT1030), and the attached Watt-o-meter doesn't go over 70 Watts.
I thought so but wanted someone to clarify my thinking.

I guess I can always give it a go and see...
Hi,
Can I ask what you ended up with?
I am reviewing my HTPC and Windows is preferred. Perhaps a Windows machine for TV Mosaic and a separate Android box for the front end.

Just curious to know what your experience is.

Thanks!