Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi crashes when selecting "choose art" -> "poster" in the info viewer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Title. According to the log it seems to crash because it can find the disk the movie file (the MKV) is in.

Code:
01:06:27.921 T:4896 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting
01:06:37.315 T:980 ERROR: Previous line repeats 6 times.
01:06:37.315 T:980 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting O:\BDs\
01:07:00.078 T:980 WARNING: CGUIWindowManager - CGUIWindowManager::HandleAction - ignoring action 107, because topmost modal dialog closing animation is running

It wasn't like this months ago. I remember I could navigate the posters without any of the disks that made up the library content connected. I only use Kodi as a database for browsing movies (as I can't seem to find any nice standalone movie scrapper), so usually none of the disks where the content is located are connected.

It doesn't make sense. The images are located in "\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Thumbnails", why does it need the disks containing the MKVs of the movies? More specifically what changes were made to how the "art" section works?

I wasn't using Kodi at all recently as at some point on mid-December the whole scrapper broke and didn't find anything at all. I was stuck with older versions and then I uninstalled it completely (ofc I had all the scrapper's components updated). Yesterday I tried lastest Kodi with the add-ons and everything was running good again. Except this art thing.
Please get us the FULL, unedited kodi.log (via pastebin.com or a similar text upload website) to get things into perspective. Seeing only 4 lines of text is not that helpful.

Thanks.
Sure, here it is. I just edited out the username (like "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\")

https://pastebin.com/V617SaKH

Steps taken: Open Kodi, navigate to a movie info screen, select "choose art" and "poster".

Sorry for taking so long, had too many things going on =/
This might be a joystick type device movement error, pull any hardware from the ports. Thinking about 'why does it need the disks containing the MKVs' a number of reasons Kodi needs access to the orginal folder for art, re-caching a different view, resizing, redraw and organization after a clean etc. You'll notice the longer you have the source drive off-line, the more images are lost, the cache is a beautiful alogorythm that assumes full access to all sources and when your sources are offline, many scripts are affected but given enough time online the library will rebuild the cache.

The best way to straighten out heavy issues is a total re-fresh of the library with updated scrapers. note: Error getting P:\BDs\  might be a spin-up issue. How many drives/sources?
I tried without the joystick, same result. Btw, I'm curious about this line
Quote:19:07:23.066 T:944   ERROR: AddOnLog: Joystick Support: Device "Sony Interactive Entertainment Wireless Controller": can't find <controller> tag
since I don't have anything Sony, just an Xbox360 compatible controller (Logitech F710).

Anyway, that's not important. Back to the disks. Kodi doesn't store anything in the disks themselves (I also have them in read-only mode). Everything, the library database, cover arts and whatever may relate to the interface is stored in the "\AppData\Roaming\Kodi" folder. The only time Kodi would need to access the MKV itself is if you attempt to play it. I have the auto-update library disabled so there's nothing to rebuild unless I do it manually. Now, I happen to have an old build, lucky me since the nightlies in "http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/win64/master/" only go back till 2018-04-02. The one I have is "KodiSetup-20171215-9bc8607c-master-x64". A few days later the library broke for me and the scan wouldn't detect anything (god knows what broke back then, in the current versions everything is detected correctly). I probably kept it for that reason, to save the "last working" version.

So, I saved the "\AppData\Roaming\Kodi" folder as is, uninstalled the current version, installed the one from 2017-12-15 and moved the folder back to it's location. I started up and everything was the way I had it (so yes, *everything* is stored there, cache, settings, all). I then went to choose a poster and everything works as expected. Everything. I can choose the poster and fanart for any movie, regardless if the disk containing the MKV is present or not. In fact, I didn't have any disk where the movies are stored connected.

Something has changed, and for worse. Since the library worked fine on 2017-12-15, the only difference I see with the current version being "no disk where the source movie is + choose art for said movie = crash".

Maybe it's worth looking into, maybe not. Don't know haw many ppl have their content spread on HDDs that they connect one at a time. For me it's elemental, why would I need all disks all the time when I only need access to one (I have like 6 HDDs and can have only 2 externals at a time).

Thanks for your reply. Whatever this is "fixed" or not. If there some new build or change to try, I'd be happy to do so. For now I'll stick to this build from December.

P.S.: In the old version if I try to play a movie that has it's disk disconnected, I get a "source file not found" message. In the current ones the screen darkens and a loading circle appears forever (a right click gets you back). Something else that's changed then. Ultimately both have the same effect, but I think the "source file not found" message is more "elegant" than a forever loading screen Tongue