Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: just enough os for older Mac pro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have an older Mac pro (circa 2008) that currently runs osx 10.6.8 and I can't upgrade the os. Wondering about installing a Kodi JEOS on this box to use as entertainment centre. Anyone know if I can do this and which os you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance
Is it an Intel-based machine?
Does it let you boot from USB sticks?
If memory serves me correctly, it's an Intel machine. The PowerMacs ran PPC and could not run OSX 10.6.x.

I think what @Klojum was heading towards was giving LibreElec a try. I haven't had any experience running it on old Mac hardware, but it plays with most Intel hardware just fine. You might need to upgrade the video card (I think they came with GeForce 7300's?). Isn't the Mac Pro a bit loud for an HTPC though? I haven't played with one myself, just curious.
It's not an ideal box I agree but it's the one I've got and I'm not using it for anything else at this point and it feels really wasteful to just replace it when it runs perfectly. It's not terribly loud but yeah the fan does come on now and then. I'll give LibreElec a shot just wondering if I installed it on a hard drive and attempted to boot from it if it would work. I'm a total noob to all this so I don't really know how it all works. As far as video cards go I did update the card at one point because the original died and there was an upgrade available I'll have to verify what the card is when I get home.
Please be advised, that installing LibreELEC onto the HDD *will* wipe EVERYTHING clean off your HDD what is currently on it. A bootable USB stick would be so much easier for a testdrive.
Fair enough I'll test drive it on a USB first. Performance wise, is it preferable to have it on and HDD if it all works out or is there no real benefit?
A USB stick and a HDD each have their advantages, but in the long run I'd choose the HDD. Some USB have a limited lifetime, and they also do not have TRIM-functionality like proper SSDs do, so they can wear out.
first thing is to make sure if its from 2006 or 2008. The first model only had 32bit efi.
(2018-05-10, 00:45)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]A USB stick and a HDD each have their advantages, but in the long run I'd choose the HDD. Some USB have a limited lifetime, and they also do not have TRIM-functionality like proper SSDs do, so they can wear out.
Hi I think I'm not completely understanding something. I used the “LibreELEC USB-SD Creator” tool to create a usb image of libreelec but when I boot from it it then asks me to install it on one of the HDDs. Is there a way to create a fully functional version of libreelec on the USB so that I can try it out like you said? I may be missing something but I'm pretty new to all of this. Thank you for your help.
Installation of LibreELEC onto an Intel-based machine is a 2-step process.
1 - Creating the USB installer (which you now did)
2 - Installing LibreELEC onto a HDD/SSD/SDcard/2ndUSBstick...

When booting the USB stick after step 1, there should be an option for starting a Live Session inside that LibreELEC installer, and not so much the actual installation onto HDD/SSD/whatever.
(2018-05-10, 09:45)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Installation of LibreELEC onto an Intel-based machine is a 2-step process.
1 - Creating the USB installer (which you now did)
2 - Installing LibreELEC onto a HDD/SSD/SDcard/2ndUSBstick...

When booting the USB stick after step 1, there should be an option for starting a Live Session inside that LibreELEC installer, and not so much the actual installation onto HDD/SSD/whatever.

When I boot from the USB my options are install, install log, and reboot. When I select the install option it shows the two installed HDDs. I'll try plugging in another USB drive to see if I can install on that as well. I don't see anything about a live session but I'll look again. Thanks for your help so far. I'll update once I can try again.
I haven't used the USB/SD Creator installer for decades (*ahum*..), ever since it kept eating my SD cards / USB sticks.

Shouldn't you just press a button during the booting of the USB installer stick, to wakeup the LiveMode? :-\
I was able to get LibreEelec running on another USB but now I can't install any addons. It keeps telling me it can't connect to the repositories. I made sure my network connection was working and that I lengthened the timeout time but it still seems to timeout or get a failed connection after only about 10 seconds. I think I've confirmed that it will work on this box I just have to figure out how to get it set up properly. I'll head over to the libreElec forums likely to see if there is any info on configuring a new system. Thanks for all your help so far.