Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved] When skipping multiple times the screen goes black.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
I'm running master head from today (f7288254abb5c55eba3c21da86b759b6dbca8ca) on both Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian Stretch.

I was previously running version 9f6b90154c33570183f6acc6aeabd330b14d9d7 from April 23.

After the update I'm getting a black screen when I skip forward or backward multiple times quickly. Sound is still running. What happened? Are there more build deps?

Can I help debugging this issue, if so how? (normal log shows nothing)

Cheers, Tycho.
Forgot to mention: this happens while playing back a normal recording from tvheadend.
(2018-05-11, 13:33)bas.t Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I'm running master head from today (f7288254abb5c55eba3c21da86b759b6dbca8ca) on both Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian Stretch.

I was previously running version 9f6b90154c33570183f6acc6aeabd330b14d9d7 from April 23.

After the update I'm getting a black screen when I skip forward or backward multiple times quickly. Sound is still running. What happened? Are there more build deps?

Can I help debugging this issue, if so how? (normal log shows nothing)

Cheers, Tycho.
 This sounds very similar to a bug I already reported. See https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17868#ticket for more info. In my case I don't need to seek multiple times, just seeking once kills video. I did a git bisect, results are in the bug report.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm using vdpau too, mostly on ION2 frontends.
(2018-05-13, 10:16)bas.t Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your reply.
 Bad news if true .. I heard vdpau has been abandoned by Kodi and nobody has any intention of fixing any existing or future vdpau bugs.
(2018-05-16, 17:31)teriyaki Wrote: [ -> ]
 Bad news if true .. I heard vdpau has been abandoned by Kodi and nobody has any intention of fixing any existing or future vdpau bugs. 
@FernetMenta Is this true? Are you guys actually dropping support for vdpau in Kodi? And if so, why?
Cheers, Tycho.
(2018-05-16, 18:55)bas.t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-16, 17:31)teriyaki Wrote: [ -> ]
@FernetMenta Is this true? Are you guys actually dropping support for vdpau in Kodi? And if so, why?
Cheers, Tycho. 
 VDPAU was abondonned by nvidia. No new codecs are supported anymore since a long time (HEVC-10 bit, VP9), the future is not VDPAU. Starting with v18 AMD gpus will be able to use VAAPI instead including hevc-10 bit support. Fernet's nvidia machine died some days ago - so, yes - nobody is currently working on VDPAU.

As VDPAU is tied to X11 it won't run on modern desktops wayland or standalone solutions based on kms/drm anyways.
@fritsch  Thanks for your explanation. So it wasn't you guys that dropped support for vdpau, but nvidia. That sucks, I guess I have to buy a shitload of new hardware.
It has to be something without moving parts, so utterly silent. Any suggestions?
Cheers, Tycho.
Nope - wait. V17 works great with nvidia and vdpau. The real problem is that we cannot support modern formats on VDPAU as VDPAU does not support them. Nvidia has released a new SDK (cuda based video decoding) but this does not support e.g. the famous ION-2 chipsets and it adds yet another proprietary decoder which adds maintenance burdon upon team kodi.

So VDPAU is not dropped, but it also is feature EOL :-( (by nvidia).
Ok, I guess I can revert to v17, but I hate the idea. I've always been a alpha/beta tester. And in the end, I'll have to change hardware anyways.
However, the hardware i'll need will be much cheaper if I wait, so I'll follow your direction, reluctantly...
Cheers, Tycho.
VDPAU is still supported in the newest drivers and the dev at the official Nvidia forum has said support will not be dropped any time soon, they just aren't actively developing VDPAU further. Both VDPAU and X11 aren't going anywhere any time soon so while VDPAU isn't the future for video decoding, it's a long way from dead. There are millions and millions of users who have existing VDPAU hardware that works just fine for their needs.

You can consider VDPAU abandoned in Kodi since at least the playback/seek bug from this thread won't be fixed. What's the point in leaving broken support there? If nobody is going to fix VDPAU in Kodi 18 then just remove VDPAU completely and be done with it. No further discussion or debate necessary. It makes absolutely no sense to do anything else.
(2018-05-16, 19:40)bas.t Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I guess I can revert to v17, but I hate the idea. I've always been a alpha/beta tester. And in the end, I'll have to change hardware anyways.
However, the hardware i'll need will be much cheaper if I wait, so I'll follow your direction, reluctantly...
Cheers, Tycho.
 Which GPU do you have?
ION-2 and Geforce 210
(2018-05-17, 07:11)bas.t Wrote: [ -> ]ION-2 and Geforce 210
 See - if we would start to support the new decoding API and drop VDPAU - you could throw it out right away :-(
And replace it with what preferable gpu?
Pages: 1 2