Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Changing renderer (option greyed out)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
l have installed a completely clean copy of kodi https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/zX3kqY8wbF/ no addons etc after being helped to do so via the seller who sold me the box. after some random tests of my video playback issue with two of three files (plays sound and no video) lm of the opinion that the issue is down to the renderer, currently the only options l have are mediacodec/mediacodec(surface) the other option is greyed out and set to auto select.

the greyed out option is the one l wish to change from auto select to software rendering, you see l downloaded the free version of MX Player and experienced the same issue, however within the player l was able to change to software rendering and all three files played fine so if there a way to make the option selectable so l can change it to software rendering?
Kodi is OpenGLES, disable Mediacodec (Surface) and it will use the GLES path. If that also does not work, also disable Mediacodec.

Btw. this basically changes the decoder and impicitely has impact on the rendering.
lve tried disabling one or the other and both options, interestingly the videos do work after changing these settings but the picture tends to stutter so badly that the audio goes highly out of sync, it kinda reminds me of playing slow motion on an old VCR, despite changing the options the auto select stayed greyed out leaving me unable to change to software, which as l said software decoding on MX Player works perfectly (which is why l was hoping to find a way to change the renderer to "software" like has been suggested on numerous pages lve researched but am unable to do as the option is greyed out at "auto select").
(2018-05-11, 22:47)Timelesspa Wrote: [ -> ]lve tried disabling one or the other and both options, interestingly the videos do work after changing these settings but the picture tends to stutter so badly that the audio goes highly out of sync, it kinda reminds me of playing slow motion on an old VCR, despite changing the options the auto select stayed greyed out leaving me unable to change to software, which as l said software decoding on MX Player works perfectly (which is why l was hoping to find a way to change the renderer to "software" like has been suggested on numerous pages lve researched but am unable to do as the option is greyed out at "auto select").
 Android currently has no maintainer, therefore I see no other workaround than using mxplayer for now.

Software as not really Software in the past - as said: Kodi uses OpenGLes
l still find it slightly strange that there is an option that could be changed but is greyed out, but l guess there isnt much l can do about that.

as for hardware l found a listing for what l have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SCS-ETC-Streami...B075YFJYCD

compared to what else lve seen hardware wise it didnt seem too bad, at the time l looked for something that had enough USBs (needed at least 4 ports to power a keyboard/mouse and a 2.5 SSD which required 2 ports on its own).

are there any other Kodi Forks l should try that may or allow me to edit the greyed out option.

on an unrelated note, decided to decommission my Roku box, is there a way l can watch Netflix through Kodi?