Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Black screen visualisations on Kodi 16.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
    I'm new to Kodi but I am a techy.  I installed Kodibuntu 14 and upgraded it to 16.1 (I can't use 17 because of the screen tearing).  I've installed the visualisations as per various internet forums but I only get black screens when they kick in.  If it turn them off then the Dim screensaver functions as expected, so the visualisations do seem to be trying to run.  I've tried all the visualistions that installed and they all exhibit the same behaviour.  Visualisations work fine under the vanilla Kodibuntu install.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue might be or where I could check some log files?

Thanks and regards, Jim.
KodiBuntu 14 is a bit outdated already, what does the rest of your HTPC machine consist of, hardware-wise specifically? Intel / Nvidia / AMD graphics?
The log file should be found in ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log , get us a copy via somthing like https://pastebin.com .
Thanks for the reply, having looked at the log I could see that it couldn't find the *.so files.  When I found them they were in an *i386* directory and the help I'd found for moving them to the correct directory was referring to *x86-64* directories.  They seem to be working now I've moved them from the correct place.

The hardware I'm running on is a fairly old Dell Inspiron 530 desktop and the graphics card is some ATI Sapphire thing although I can't get any hardware details from the desktop hardware manager - I guess it's too lightweight!  I went for Kodi 14 as that's the most current version that's bundled with Lubuntu and I was looking for something that was as simple to set up as possible.  I'm happy to look at a seperate OS and Kodi install if that would be better.  If it's ok to ask in this thread, what would be a good OS/Kodi option to do this with.  I'm looking for something that will make the operation as simple as possible for non-techies to use i.e. it goes right into Kodi when the machine boots up - no logon requests and no desktop to launch icons from.

Thanks again for your help with this; it's much appreciated.

Regards, Jim.