Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Test PlexKodiConnect without risking current Kodi install/db
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running Kodi (17.6) and the Plex client on my NVIDIA Shield TV box. I also pretty much hate the Plex Android TV interface, but Plex is great in just about every other respect.
So I want to test PlexKodiConnect (Kodi GUI front end into Plex Server backend) but without affecting the current Kodi database etc as I may not like it and the compromises it has to make.
Can I do this via Profiles - which I have not used up to now?
Can I install a completely separate instance of Kodi on Android? If so how - most videos I see on this are talking about installing different forks of Kodi which I do not want.
Help appreciated.
without risking current Kodi install/db

In case of testing, fiddling or other life changing Kodi events, always make backups of your data(bases) Smile

I'm not a Plex user, so I'm kinda useless in that respect.

Kodi profiles in 17.6 do have their bugs/nags, but you should be able to test some things with manually editing your profiles. (No idea what your skills are in that area)
Yeah, the Plex UI on Android is the worst. I never used Plex Kodi Connect because I didn't want to screw up my shared database. Just curious - did you try the 
Plex for Kodi addon? It won't mess up your Kodi data base and in all the years I used Plex, that was their best UI imo.
Yes you can use Kodi profiles to test PlexKodiConnect. Install the add-on for another, dedicated Kodi profile. However, still make sure you have a Kodi backup, just in case  Wink
(2018-05-18, 11:09)Croneter Wrote: [ -> ]Yes you can use Kodi profiles to test PlexKodiConnect. Install the add-on for another, dedicated Kodi profile. However, still make sure you have a Kodi backup, just in case  Wink
Great - thanks for that - starting to test shortly...
I have in the past tried the Plex for Kodi Add on but that does not get you the proper Kodi GUI experience as far as I can remember.