Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What is this onscreen icon from remote control presses (and how do I get rid of it)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know the OS isn't supported here, but if anybody happens to know what this is or can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

I've installed Kodi (from debian package) on a system running debian stretch with cinnamon desktop. It (v.17.1) works fine. I have an MCE RC-6 type remote control and it worked (more or less) without having to manually configure lirc (horribly confusing information about making that work, it seems that it's moved on since a lot of the online guides and remote functions are in the kernel (?)). The buttons work to do what they are meant to, but when I press rewind or fast forward, I get a large icon pop up onscreen. It's a square light grey background with a white circle with a diagonal line through it. It looks like the "content blocked" symbol my browser gives me on the address line of some websites. It stays up, and none of the remote buttons make it go away, I have to hit escape on the keyboard to get rid of it.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it a Kodi thing, or a lirc thing, or an OS thing? Any clues as to what to fiddle with to get rid of it? I have searched but not come up with anything.

Is there a way to map the "esc" button from the keyboard onto my remote so I can clear this thing more easily?
A debug log (wiki) and a screenshot of the offending popup may help.
It could also be your desktop enviroment reacting to the button. Check if this also occurs with a plain desktop (without kodi running) and if yes search for desktop configuration settings like "handle multimedia keys" or something like that and disable them - could also be that's mapped in some desktop "hotkey" settings.

so long,

Hias
Thanks, I've changed some Kodi settings which may have had an effect. I'll see whether it persists/survives a reboot.
Sorry people, I've had other things on my plate and I've got to have an operation which means I can't be playing with my computer at the moment, I haven't abandoned my thread and I'll be back when I can.
Thanks for the replies.
No problems - good luck with the operation, let us know how it all turns out.

For what it's worth, I found changes to the XML file governing remote control settings didn't take until after a Kodi restart (there's no way of initiating a reload of configs, I just had to keep using kodi-send -a "RestartApp" (or:  sudo /bin/systemctl restart kodi).  I'm not sure if there's a more modern way of reloading configs (even a button in the system menu would be grand!) but without realising this I wasted time making changes that never seemed to take.

Take care!
Hi everybody, I'm still alive. My operation went a bit awry and I was stuck in hospital for ages without my computer. I'm free again and I solved this "mystery" yesterday purely by chance. The "mystery" involved me being an idiot.....

My other computer broke, and I installed an OS on this other old computer that I have and then Kodi. When I was installing the OS, I connected a wireless mouse. I then forgot that mouse was connected (I have a keyboard with a trackpad on it, so I didn't need the separate mouse, other than I don't like trackpads), and it had fallen down beside my bed. When I was sending keypresses from the remote, the computer was also registering the "keypress" from the mouse which was being pressed accidentally and telling me 'no' and that it didn't like that.

Thanks for the attempts to help, but there's no cure for what I've got. Big Grin