Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nvidia Shield TV - Kodi - UHD4K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm curious about the state of 4K HDR10 playback via Kodi.

I remember a Team Kodi member telling me that It's "not officially supported" and may not be supported until the next Kodi release. What does "not officially supported" mean? Does it mean that it may work, may not work and if it doesn't work, that's to be expected? 

I tested out 2x 4K HDR10 movies the other day with my Nvidia Shield TV. (The Shape of Water)(Thor - Ragnarok)
I noticed that The Shape of Water stuttered maybe 4-5 times very briefly during playback and both movies at various points during playback shut off once. I was able to resume playback eventually with no further issues. Is this likely a Kodi issue because 4K HDR10 isn't supported yet even though the Nvidia Shield does support it?

Is it likely that 4K HDR10 will be supported in the next release? And how likely it is that Kodi will support down-conversion of HDR10 to SDR8? 

Thanks
In my opinion, a new round of testing will be necessary as the Shield TV will get its Oreo update in the upcoming weeks/months. And who knows which changes will be implemented, and what else will backfire.
HDR in itself is already a big puzzle, also having no dedicated team member / developer currently for Android affairs is another hurdle to take. You may want to have a look at MrMC as well.
(2018-05-27, 22:09)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, a new round of testing will be necessary as the Shield TV will get its Oreo update in the upcoming weeks/months. And who knows which changes will be implemented, and what else will backfire.
HDR in itself is already a big puzzle, also having no dedicated team member / developer currently for Android affairs is another hurdle to take. You may want to have a look at MrMC as well.
 Hmm ok. So me having issues with UHD HDR10 could be due to both Kodi and Android? Would UHD HDR10 play better on Windows 10 Kodi? 

Does Windows 10 have a dedicated team member working on UHD HDR? I guess I ask these questions because I'm trying to determine if I want to buy another Nvidia Shield as my Kodi machine or just build a Windows 10 machine running Kodi. Maybe I should just stick to 1080p Blu-ray. Never heard of MrMC, but seems to be a media player. I've tried MPV and it does down-convert HDR10 to SDR8  so I assume it would probably play HDR10 without the down-conversion just fine, but I've never tested movies from start-to-finish. There's just so many options available and things to test, It's hard to keep up with all of it. And I've been using Kodi for many many years now and ideally I'd prefer to stick with what I know.
(2018-05-27, 22:28)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]Never heard of MrMC, but seems to be a media player.  

MrMC is a Kodi fork(ish) developed by one of our forum Team members (Android maintainer) davilla and now has Koying working on it (also former Android maintainer).

It's a paid app that you can download directly from the Play Store, but there is also a Lite version you can use to try it out.
(2018-05-27, 22:47)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-27, 22:28)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]Never heard of MrMC, but seems to be a media player.  

MrMC is a Kodi fork(ish) developed by one of our forum Team members (Android maintainer) davilla and now has Koying working on it (also former Android maintainer).

It's a paid app that you can download directly from the Play Store, but there is also a Lite version you can use to try it out. 
Ok, so, is this an accurate summary of what I've read and what people are telling me? Don't expect 4K HDR to work on Android Kodi, but you can try MrMC and it may work. 4K HDR also won't work properly on Windows 10 Kodi - BUT *maybe* in a future release.
No! HDR on Android is entirely done by firmware, mediacodec surface. Kodi has no influence beyond sending the frames into this Blackbox.

The switch all happens Android internally.
(2018-05-27, 22:02)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]Is it likely that 4K HDR10 will be supported in the next release? And how likely it is that Kodi will support down-conversion of HDR10 to SDR8? 

Thanks

Last week I started a sticky hardware thread for questions exactly like these....

4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations.

Colorspace conversion/switching for seamless SDR & 4K HDR10 still appears to be a problem even with the Android Oreo OS update on the Shield.

At this point in time there are better hardware platforms available for mixed SDR / HDR10 Kodi (or MrMC) usage.

If anything stutters, a directly connected Hard Drive should be used to rule out any Network issues.
(2018-05-29, 04:01)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-27, 22:02)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]Is it likely that 4K HDR10 will be supported in the next release? And how likely it is that Kodi will support down-conversion of HDR10 to SDR8? 

Thanks

Last week I started a sticky hardware thread for questions exactly like these....

4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations.

Colorspace conversion/switching for seamless SDR & 4K HDR10 still appears to be a problem even with the Android Oreo OS update on the Shield.

At this point in time there are better hardware platforms available for mixed SDR / HDR10 Kodi (or MrMC) usage.

If anything stutters, a directly connected Hard Drive should be used to rule out any Network issues.  
 It's strange, but I've now spoken to at least 12 other people who claim they've never experienced any 4K HDR10 playback issues with their Nvidia Shield TV running Kodi. People are reportedly using both external HDDs and Ethernet connections. I'm kind've the odd guy out in terms of playback reliability. 

I was using an external HDD connected to the Shield when I noticed the stutters--in one movie--and 2 films shutting off during playback.

Played a few 4K movies since this post and they all played fine, which was unexpected. I never changed any settings nor do I even believe that there was an issue with the previous two movies. (the files themselves).

I suppose for now SDR to HDR isn't a point of interest so I'll forget about it. Mostly just interested in competent 4K HDR10 playback. I actually did come across that thread before I think, or perhaps it was another thread you created and I'm mixing them up. 

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you've written under the NVIDIA Shield heading, I don't see a mention of 4K HDR10 not working properly on the Shield TV/Kodi aside from potential Ethernet/Network issues.

And I've quickly browsed the other hardware solutions and I'm not seeing how those other options are better than the Shield for HDR10 playback? They seem to have more drawbacks. If it were up to me, I would've spent more $ on a hardware solution and I still can, but at the time it seemed to me that the Shield was the best option, especially for the price.