Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Rescanning tags in entire music library on library update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this was mentioned in another thread, but can't find it...

I added some new music a couple of weeks ago and updated the library...it quickly scanned the library and picked up the new albums. I just added a few more albums, and this time, the library update is scanning the tags for my entire library! I'll post my log when it is done, but it's going to take a full day or more to finish.
New thread is fine @braz , thanks for remembering to try and get some debug data for me. Rather than wait a day and maybe have me want you to try again, could you cancel the scan (click "stop scanning" from the side blade) and post what you have. It is easy to restart again and get the new music added.

Also details of what you did - folder location of new music. Did you call lib update from side blade? OH and what build of course, although that will be in the log file.

Just for reference the thread this unexpected full rescan behaviour originally was mentioned on is v17 scanning issue
I'm using Jurial Munkey's Aura skin, so no side blade...I just exited Kodi. I hadn't closed Kodi in quite a while, so it's a big log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1vrdvd19af81ka/kodi.log?dl=0

The music is on a directly attached USB drive. I had previously separated my music into different folders as you suggested, and everything was scanned back into the Kodi library. I run the library updates from a custom item in my home menu that calls the following:
Code:
UpdateLibrary(Music,,True)

Thanks for taking a look, appreciate it!
Just FYI, I use MusicBrainz Picard and Bliss (https://www.blisshq.com/) to manage my tags. Wondering now, if Bliss maybe changes one of the file dates on all of the music when I drop its database and rescan, causing Kodi to rescan everything.

Edit: Sure enough, I checked some of my music files and the modified date was last week. Haven't confirmed yet, but looks like Bliss must change this date on an initial scan. Will test to confirm. I wouldn't normally have to drop the Bliss db and rescan, but had to a few times due to a bug in the Bliss software. Looks like it isn't a Kodi issue, don't waste any time on this. Thanks Dave!
Monster log @braz , Skin Helper Service doing lots, and I do wonder of that slows the scanning process.

What music is new/changed?  Some artist/album or folder names would help me spot the things that should not be updating from those that should.
(2018-05-28, 19:58)braz Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Sure enough, I checked some of my music files and the modified date was last week. Haven't confirmed yet, but looks like Bliss must change this date on an initial scan. Will test to confirm. I wouldn't normally have to drop the Bliss db and rescan, but had to a few times due to a bug in the Bliss software. Looks like it isn't a Kodi issue, don't waste any time on this. Thanks Dave!
Changing folder/file timestamps would do it!

If you can't stop Bliss from doing that then consider a bulk filestamp resetting tool. If use one to rest the modified date to the created date in case I meddle with files but don't want Kodi to update.

Also I'm pretty sure that scanning would be far quicker without SHS and widget that come with the skin. Why not test that by switching to something vanilla like Estuary or Confluenece, disable SHS addon (it leaves itself running even when skin not using it), and then do a lib update to catch up with what Bliss has done to the hashes by changing file timestamp. Just curious Smile
Will keep my eye on the file timestamps from now on and figure out exactly what is changing them, I've also reached out to the Bliss developer to see when it changes them.

Yeah, I had removed all of the SHS type addons a long time ago, but recently installed them in order to use the Aura skin, which relies on them quite a bit. I'll test a library update in Estuary with SHS disabled when I add some more music.

Thanks again!
I found that just the scanning for file hash changes on my large music collection takes 45mins+ with my NAS device as a source.

Although I think Kodi is doing what it should be, I wish there was a way to improve scan time for adding a single album add other than browsing to the file explorer and Add to library.

My suggestion in the other thread was be to allow music sources to have a flag not to update on a full library scan similar to video scanner options.
Looks like an Add-on has been updated that will allow the refresh of a single source. Could be very useful in terms of speed!

https://github.com/robweber/xbmclibrarya.../issues/37