Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Recently added shows/movies - Centralized SQL DB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.  I've looked, but I can't seem to find any questions that are specific to this one, but if I have missed it please forgive me and direct me to the right place with a link.. Anyway...
I have recently setup a SQL database successfully on a dedicated Linux box and all 4 KODI devices are doing what I expect--one update on one and all of them have the new content and the status/position of each video is preserved instantaneously for all devices. 

The one thing I'm not getting to work (short of a reboot) is the main list that shows what is recently added.  I can go into the TV shows or Movies section and see each file, and when the database is updated with a new scan on one device, the other devices immediately show the new episodes in their respective 'tv shows/show name/season' folder, but it takes a reboot to get it to show those episodes on the "recently added" sections.

Any ideas?  Supposed to work this way?  Any suggestions on how to get this list to populate without a reboot or a rescan (which takes longer to verify what's there vs. what's cataloged than a reboot).

Thank you!!
It's a 'problem' that video listings and their subsequent field values, like watched statuses, are not triggered for an update at any given moment whenever one of the other connected Kodi clients does a rescan or rescrape of movies or tv shows. That sort of artificial intelligence for a centralized database is not (yet..?) available in Kodi.

Instead of a full reboot, you could try force a reload of the active skin in Kodi via a remapped keyboard/remote key. That should have all video listings reload as well, along with watched status and bookmarks. Have a look at this page where the ReloadSkin command is triggered: https://kodi.wiki/view/First_skin_tutorial#Details

You can remap it to a different skin or remote button. It's not ideal, but it should work.
As an alternative, you can do a video library refresh to trigger an update of the main screen.  I have a script that takes shows recorded by NextPVR and puts them in my Kodi library.  That runs a library update as the last thing on all my devices so that each one has an updated recently added widget.  I wish there was someway to just trigger the main screen update without either reloading the skin or running a library update, but each time someone posts about this nothing happens except for us to suggest the same two work arounds.