Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sd Card Write Access
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How can I give Kodi write access to the SD card on my android tablet?
(2018-06-10, 01:17)jglazer63 Wrote: [ -> ]How can I give Kodi write access to the SD card on my android tablet?
What version of Android is your tablet running?  The easiest way (Android 6.0 +) is to adopt the storage.

If you don't adopt, the only place you'll have write access is /your_card/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/  this is a limitation of Android.
It's Android 7.   When I install other programs a notice pops up on those programs to grant access to the SD card.  Pretty standard stuff.  I just cannot seem to find a way for Kodi to generate that notice.  Case in point ES File Explorer.  First install when I go to the SD card, it asks me to grant access to the application.
(2018-06-10, 01:40)jglazer63 Wrote: [ -> ]It's Android 7.   When I install other programs a notice pops up on those programs to grant access to the SD card.  Pretty standard stuff.  I just cannot seem to find a way for Kodi to generate that notice.  Case in point ES File Explorer.  First install when I go to the SD card, it asks me to grant access to the application.
That's because Kodi does not.  To be able to write to non-adopted external storage an app has to ask permission first, Kodi does not do this (mainly because of the way it was introduced in Android 6.0) and it probably won't be changed any time soon as we no longer have a Android maintainer.

So again, if you want Kodi to write to your SD Card, you either have to adopt or use the path that I stated above.  It's an Android limitation as it's a Storage Access Framework requirement that makes apps ask for permission to folders other than their own or root storage access before they have full permission to external storage.
Ok thanks for the response.  I guess writing to that folder is not that big of an issue.   I don't have the device in front of me to see if the folder exists on the SD card I just inserted.  Or do I need to create the folder??  

A shame about the android development.   So my android devices are going to be locked at 17?
No, you don't need to create the folder it's created after you insert the card and launch Kodi, it can't already be running.

No, their will still be Android builds, just features for Android will be added at a much slower rate or if at all. Kodi v18 already has a bunch of new features for Oreo (Android 8) but those were added before our main Android dev left.
(2018-06-10, 01:40)jglazer63 Wrote: [ -> ]It's Android 7.   When I install other programs a notice pops up on those programs to grant access to the SD card.  Pretty standard stuff.  I just cannot seem to find a way for Kodi to generate that notice.  Case in point ES File Explorer.  First install when I go to the SD card, it asks me to grant access to the application.
 If your device is rooted there is a way to let Kodi write/erase on external media, USB and SD, but involves some effort.
Have a look at THIS thread.