Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Microstuttering during 1080p playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

First of all thank you for developing amazing piece of software! True XXI century home cinema. ;-)

I'm having little problems with playback of 1080p files (4K files are playing fine though sic!) on my Philips OLED Android TV - 55POS9002. It happens with Kodi 17 and 18 Leia nightlies. The fun part is that on SPMC 16 everything is working correctly! I've set accelaration with MediaCodec (Surface) (MediaCodec only is even worse) and PlayerDebug is showing that video is decoded properly (no dropped or skipped frames) but as I'm watching video I can clearly see every 15-20 seconds effect of microstuttering like dropped 1 frame or so. 

Every motion settings in TV are turned off just to be clear.

Is there anything we can do about it? It's weird that SPMC 16 is working correctly but KODI 17/18 not. I'd stick with SPMC but it has poor perfomance during 4K buffering from my local network.

Please help me, Greetings
SPMC 16 had a developer specifically the Android systems, Kodi had/has a more generic approach which may yield different results.

Right now, there is no main Kodi for Android maintainer. Also, the nVidia Shield TV will get an OS update to Android Oreo in the upcoming weeks/months(?), so results may change again.

For now, I'd stick to the tools that do work. Although if you have a centralized database, that may cause extra work in keeping the different databases up-to-date.
(2018-06-12, 11:40)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]SPMC 16 had a developer specifically the Android systems, Kodi had/has a more generic approach which may yield different results.

Right now, there is no main Kodi for Android maintainer. Also, the nVidia Shield TV will get an OS update to Android Oreo in the upcoming weeks/months(?), so results may change again.

For now, I'd stick to the tools that do work. Although if you have a centralized database, that may cause extra work in keeping the different databases up-to-date.
 Just for curiosity, who then is updating the nightlies builds?
(2018-06-13, 02:13)iMak Wrote: [ -> ]Just for curiosity, who then is updating the nightlies builds? 

Same as what builds for every other platform. Maintainer means code maintainer, nothing to do with the builds. And most of the code that goes into Koid is not specific to Android. There are things that get added just for Android, but much of it is cross platform.
Well, sorry to hear that. Sad I also have my old TV set on Android 5 (current is on 7) Philips PFH5500 and KODI is working perfectly fine with every single file. 

Maybe it's worth to investigate this issue?
(2018-06-12, 11:01)jerychopl Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!

First of all thank you for developing amazing piece of software! True XXI century home cinema. ;-)

I'm having little problems with playback of 1080p files (4K files are playing fine though sic!) on my Philips OLED Android TV - 55POS9002. It happens with Kodi 17 and 18 Leia nightlies. The fun part is that on SPMC 16 everything is working correctly! I've set accelaration with MediaCodec (Surface) (MediaCodec only is even worse) and PlayerDebug is showing that video is decoded properly (no dropped or skipped frames) but as I'm watching video I can clearly see every 15-20 seconds effect of microstuttering like dropped 1 frame or so. 

Every motion settings in TV are turned off just to be clear.

Is there anything we can do about it? It's weird that SPMC 16 is working correctly but KODI 17/18 not. I'd stick with SPMC but it has poor perfomance during 4K buffering from my local network.

Please help me, Greetings
 I have something similar, on my 2017 Shield with Oreo both kodi versions (Krypton and Leia) are lagging (Audio and Video not in sync after few seconds) on 1080p HD channels.
SPMC with Kodi 16 working fine with the same settings (Shield 50hz, Kodi 50hz, Kodi-TV-Fallback 50hz, Audio passthrough with AC3 and DTS enabled).
(2018-06-13, 02:39)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-13, 02:13)iMak Wrote: [ -> ]Just for curiosity, who then is updating the nightlies builds? 

Same as what builds for every other platform. Maintainer means code maintainer, nothing to do with the builds. And most of the code that goes into Koid is not specific to Android. There are things that get added just for Android, but much of it is cross platform. 
Thanks Tinwarble.
I've been having similar video sync issues on the Shield during mkv playback. This has been with nightly Leia builds going back many months (I've tried several along the way). Although in my case I would describe it as more of a strobe effect.  Sometimes after about an hour of playback, the video starts dropping frames and it looks like a strobe effect. If I hit pause for a second and then resume play, it solves the issue.  Same thing for audio sync - some times after resuming playback from a pause the audio is out of sync. I have to pause and then resume again, and then that fixes it, although in some cases I have to pause and resume 2-3 times before the audio is back in sync.  

Also I have issues with audio stuttering when first starting playback or after pausing and resuming. It is detailed here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=327563 . I have been writing and asking about this for 6 months, but unfortunately because there is no Android maintainer the issue has not been addressed and no help has been available.