Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sky Sports
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Sky Sports
Version: 
Download: https://github.com/ArberDev/repository.arber

Watch a wide selection of videos from skysports.com.
This needs renaming as its very misleading.
Sky Sports News is a channel, this is just video from the Sky Sports website.
(2018-06-16, 16:25)gb160 Wrote: [ -> ]This needs renaming as its very misleading.

The videos are done by the Sky Sports News team. I don't see how it's misleading?
(2018-06-16, 21:56)TheGame1986 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-16, 16:25)gb160 Wrote: [ -> ]This needs renaming as its very misleading.

The videos are done by the Sky Sports News team. I don't see how it's misleading? 
Because Sky Sports News is a channel, and people will presume this addon lets them stream that channel.
Like the Sky News addon, that too is a channel, and the addon lets them stream that channel live.
The description for the add-on is clear that it is the videos from the website. The add-on is named Sky Sports News because the videos are clips that air on the live broadcast. I don't think that the name is misleading as the content is from Sky Sports News, the description is there in the first post and will be there on the UI once the plugin is submitted to the Kodi repository. As of right now I have no intention of renaming the add-on, but I will take it into consideration before I submit it to the repo.
Many thanks for your work, this is a welcome addition to my other sports related addons.
(2018-06-16, 22:26)Arber Wrote: [ -> ]As of right now I have no intention of renaming the add-on, but I will take it into consideration before I submit it to the repo.
I don't think you'll have much choice buddy.
You wont have to do much, just probably add 'video' to it.

Regardless its quite a cool addon, nice work.
It's up to the individual developer how they name their plugin... If however this plugin were to be submitted for repository submission. I would recommend changing the plugin to "Sky Sports". In Order to free up "Sky Sports News" for future development for that specific news feed.
I'll change the name then, since I plan to submit it to the repo...

However, I'd like to point out that skysports.com is the same website used by Sky Sports News. The video clips are from the Sky Sports News editorial team, and often times the clips are directly from their editorials on the live news feed. The reason the website is not called skysportsnews.com is because Sky decided to encompass all their Sports channel via one domain name, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the clips are from SSN. It's very unlikely there will ever be an add-on with a live SSN feed since the channel is a premium channel and is only offered via Sky Go online, which at the moment seems to be behind unbreakable DRM.

In short, just because the url of the website doesn't have the word "news" in it doesn't take away from the fact that the clips are from Sky Sports News.

I'll push an update tomorrow mid day GMT with the new name.
Youre right, However the channel isn't so much a news channel anymore, it's effectively a rolling 24 hr advert for sports events that Sky have the rights to broadcast, with a little bit of news thrown in.

A few years ago Sky news was behind a paywall, not anymore.
It's not out of the realms of possibility that SSN will take the same path.
(2018-06-18, 10:08)gb160 Wrote: [ -> ]Youre right, However the channel isn't so much a news channel anymore, it's effectively a rolling 24 hr advert for sports events that Sky have the rights to broadcast, with a little bit of news thrown in.

A few years ago Sky news was behind a paywall, not anymore.
It's not out of the realms of possibility that SSN will take the same path.
 SSN used to be on Freeview and they then added it to their Sky Sports package in 2010. I can't see them moving it back to Freeview any time soon, but if they did, I would have added the stream to this add-on...

Anyway, that subject doesn't need discussing further. The add-on name and ID have been changed. If you already installed this add-on, you may want to uninstall and re-install, but it's not important as this add-on will continue to work until Sky change their website.

Original post has been updated to show these changes.
Agreed.
Its a shame that Sky are so aggressive with their DRM, as someone with a SkyGo subscription it would be great to get these working under Kodi.
The BTSports addon by @Leopold is bloody great, obviously you need a BT subscription but its really good to have these live streams under the Kodi umbrella, so to speak.
I feel like even if someone did get SkyGo working in Kodi, Sky would eventually send a take down request. They are that type of company, unfortunately. Sad