Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi does not detect 2 hdds at the same time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm humbly asking for some assistance in making my setup work to the best of its ability.

I'm having an issue with Kodi not detecting my 2 external HDDs (connected through a powered usb hub) at the sames time.
The 2 HDDs are identical (brand, model, size, ...), as soon as one is plugged it takes over the other
[If the two sources are displayed one under the other for example, ex "Seagate backup plus", and "Seagate backup plus slim" (both are same model, idk why different names under kodi), the two entries become duplicates (only files from one hdd visible when browsing it), as soon as i unplug one of the hdds the other functions normally.)

If another Hdd or usb is plugged, it works just fine.

( tried SSH and lsusb, both hdds are detected with different IDs)

If anybody can provide some assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch
What distro are you running?  Plug in both drives (powered on) and post the output of `lsblk -f`
Identical disks can be confusing, it's best to apply separate disk labels to each of your disks.
I take it you use some type of Linux OS running, and perhaps you can give us the outcome of the following commands:

(sudo) blkid
(sudo) mount
dmesg

Please use pastebin for your listings.
Thanks both of you for the quick reply.

Can't use lsblk over putty + ssh (on win pc).
For the distro I think it was OpenELEC 8.0.4, Kodi is either 17.3 or 17.6, can't remember. 

Both HDDs are Seagate backup plus 4tb drives (the idea was to have identical hdds, color coded according to the media on them)

Here are the logs if it helps:
https://pastebin.com/tsUU0km1 blkid
https://pastebin.com/5jn0MaHD mount
https://pastebin.com/eDuTHuPJ dmesg

From the logs i gathered that both hdd are detected, but only one is mounted on sda2, dmesg is way above my understanding...
I tried mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb2 /media but it says fail, no such device

Thanks for the help!
(2018-06-17, 02:03)mburkic Wrote: [ -> ]For the distro I think it was OpenELEC 8.0.4, Kodi is either 17.3 or 17.6, can't remember. 
OpenELEC has not been maintained/developed for over a year, we recommend you switch over to LibreELEC for up-to-date Kodi experience.

Code:
/dev/sda1: PARTLABEL="Microsoft reserved partition" PARTUUID="a6453189-8c26-495b-9014-4e9eaf14f76a"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim" UUID="D2F6BF07F6BEEB3D" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="cbf05586-8758-423c-8046-2ca431a28fee"
/dev/sdb1: PARTLABEL="Microsoft reserved partition" PARTUUID="72dba033-ff43-404c-9f38-97b56d891b61"
/dev/sdb2: LABEL="Seagate Backup Plus Drive" UUID="E4C4E90EC4E8E430" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="37d7e3bc-537c-4702-b9ed-e28073fbe77b"
Code:
/dev/sda2 on /var/media/Seagate Backup Plus type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)

Both drives do have different disk labels but identical partlabel names, which may cause the confusion.
Change each via SSH with a command like:
ntfslabel /dev/sdX2 <your_drive_name>
Where X is the device letter of your drive, resulting in either sda2 or sdb2. Label names like "movies1" and 'movies2' are more appropriate IMO.
Personally, I don't use spaces in folder or file names, and in labels. It causes its own problems, so I go with underscores or dashes instead.

The downside is this may result in you having to fully rescrape your video/music collection, as the mount paths will also likely change, resulting Kodi seeing the video files as new files... It's still weekend now, so that shouldn't be a problem Smile
Thanks, it worked like a charm!

Also switched to LibreELEC, wasn't aware that openELEC stopped updating

Thanks again Smile
Why can't you lsblk in putty from windows?  You might need to sudo.  I just did it with no problem on my setup.
(2018-06-19, 21:39)donbrew Wrote: [ -> ]Why can't you lsblk in putty from windows? 
Erm.. Who are you asking? The problem in this thread had already been solved.

And 'blkid' is apparently a system command requiring administrative rights.
Using it Putty shouldn't make a difference, it's about the remote computer and not the client.
(2018-06-19, 21:44)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-19, 21:39)donbrew Wrote: [ -> ]Why can't you lsblk in putty from windows? 
Erm.. Who are you asking? The problem in this thread had already been solved.

And 'blkid' is apparently a system command requiring administrative rights.
Using it Putty shouldn't make a difference, it's about the remote computer and not the client. 
 Post #4.  If something simple doesn't work, that could lend a clue to the fix.
I just logged into one of my pi's from putty on ssh and ran lsblk without admin rights not even sudo.
Changing the entire operating system doesn't solve the problem, it just avoids the problem.

Sorry.
It depends on the operating system. For example, if you run LibreELEC, it only has one user: root. And LibreELEC knows no sudo command. Smile
Hello,

First of all, yes, my problem was resolved;
It was not a distro thing (change was made because i was made aware of the slow update frequency), the actual problem lied in the HDD partlabel name, both had the same, as pointed by Klojum. Once that was changed, everything worked just fine.

As for the the lsblk command, it didn't work (sudo or not) because the command wasn't found, i'm not too good with linux yet, so my only guess is it wasn't available in the openELEC distro, but don't take my word for it.

Anyhow, thanks to everybody who participated and helped me out (and slightly further my knowledge in linux commands) Smile
Thread marked solved