Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stream from my kodi server while on vacation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

Is there a way to stream from my kodi server to my pc/mac or smart tv?
If I install Kodi on the device I want to play on, can I access the library that is located at home?
Open the necessary network ports on your router. What sort of upload speed do you have at server, and which net speeds do you have on the road?

Of course, computer/network security is a different matter altogether.
Aha, ok.
Yeah...security may be an issue. I should somehow restrict it to only accept connections to my MACadress on my pc.

I have 250/250 at home and 250/250 where I am staying.
Also, you'd need a shared library of some kind - and then you're still not "streaming from the Kodi server", more "accessing the file in local Kodi that the Kodi server knows about". In other words, you could do the same to a great extent by simply opening a VPN connection and navigating to the media files on your server.

A lot depends on how much metadata and how much of "the Kodi experience" you want/need while travelling. Some folks use it a lot, and appreciate the familiarity; some (myself included) just access the odd film or TV programme from time to time, so accessing the file shares is much simpler.
Sorry for streaming is best another software. use emby-server. not freeware but best. it also supports transcoding whats very helpful for high bitrate files.
Another option for streaming is plex; it is what I use while travelling and find it works very well.
How about an external USB 1/2/3/4TB HDD drive, copy (part of) your media collection onto it, and connect it to your setup where you are?
No idea how big your entire collection is, but... how long were you planning to avoid going back home? Smile
Do plex process the media?
Can I connect my mac to a TV while MAc is straming from plex on my shield?
(2018-06-17, 21:52)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]How about an external USB 1/2/3/4TB HDD drive, copy (part of) your media collection onto it, and connect it to your setup where you are?
No idea how big your entire collection is, but... how long were you planning to avoid going back home? Smile

This is what I’ve done and am using it right now, internet speed aside, there is also the issue if you have a dynamic IP address. The external storage is going to be a lot easier than streaming via the interweb
I am so afraid that I will loose the 2tb hdd in the ground or something.. or loose it :/
(2018-06-17, 22:16)Bigdrago Wrote: [ -> ]I am so afraid that I will loose the 2tb hdd in the ground or something.. or loose it :/
1st: you would only lose the HDD, the contents is just a copy.
2nd: you can lose other stuff too. A wallet, a credit card, a pair of (sun)glasses, a suitcase...

But other than that, the whole hassle setting up a somewhat secure connection from your home does require some technical knowledge.
A 2tb HDD is cheaper to loose than a smartphone, also, if the computer does an update in the middle of a film when you are away, there is zip you can do
(2018-06-17, 21:57)Bigdrago Wrote: [ -> ]Do plex process the media?
Can I connect my mac to a TV while MAc is straming from plex on my shield?
 I'm not sure what you mean by "process the media" so am not sure how to answer. If you really want to stream media (instead of copying to a portable drive or something) then I would suggest a quick google search for plex to see if it meets your needs. It certainly has more stringent hardware requirements as well as needing reasonable bandwidth (sometimes, free hotel internet access is horribly insufficient).