Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using tags to "group" specific movies when there are more than one version on a movie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I'm adding movies to a tag and there are multiple versions of the movie, how do I know which one I'm adding to or removing from the tag?

For example; I have several copies of Star Wars The Last Jedi (4K, 3D, 2D HD Blu-ray - All Optical Disks, and the 4K version on the server). I want to add only the (eg) 4K version to the tag, but when I create the tag or when adding movies to the tag, it shows all of the versions with no info, making it impossible to know which one is the one I want to add.

Another example; I pick up movies from bargain sales, online etc for really cheap. If I like the movie I will go out and buy the blu-ray. I want to tag those movies so I remember which ones I'm upgrading as I'll generally go and buy in bulk to get better prices only a couple of times a year.

There are more uses, but the question is the same - when the are multiple versions, how do I know which one I'm adding to the tag?

thanks
Some skins support descriptive colour cases for resolution/3D, would that be of use?
@Yanta

Using one of your previous examples, which I still had loaded on my test system, it should be fairly easy to distinguish. Each has a unique name which you stated previously you had done for all your multiple copies.

Unless you have now changed and used the basic name for each movie, and now have 3 movies simply called "Prometheus", then your issue of not being able to distinguish the versions of the movie would extend to general library usage, and not just a tag issue...

@Karellan, you are indeed correct that "some" of my movies for which I have different versions are named differently. These are for extended, directors cuts and special editions. These are not the ones I want to tag. But if they were, you are correct, they are easily identified.

80% of my collection is duplicated. One version on disc, one version on the server. For 3D movies there are 3 or 4 versions (a 3D ISO and a 3D Disc as well). Where these are all theatrical versions (Ie. The same), then the only way to tell them apart is by the media flags on the skin (Eg. Blu-ray, 3D, DVD etc).

However, when adding tags to these files the names are presented in a list view and there are no media flags present and absolutely no way to tell which is the copy I want to tag.
Nope, can't think of an easy solution.

The only thing that comes to mind is direct editing of the DB. An SQL statement that will find the 3840 video resolution in Stream_details table and update the Tag_link table with the 4K tag for all matching movies.
(2018-06-23, 00:31)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, can't think of an easy solution.

The only thing that comes to mind is direct editing of the DB. An SQL statement that will find the 3840 video resolution in Stream_details table and update the Tag_link table with the 4K tag for all matching movies.
Hmm.. One day I am going to have to learn how to write clear English.

I don't care about the resolution of the movie. My point was that I want to add specific movies to a tag. Since the movies are shown in a list totally bereft of any information and with no context options available there is no way to know which one I'm adding to a tag.

Are there other grouping options available in Kodi? I go to filters and I can select lots of criteria, but none of the criteria I want are available. Tags seemed to be the only way to do it, whether its 4K, 3D, extended Cuts, or Movies to be replaced or any of a dozen other criteria.
(2018-06-22, 23:33)Yanta Wrote: [ -> ]then the only way to tell them apart is by the media flags on the skin (Eg. Blu-ray, 3D, DVD etc).
Your English is fine, but I am only using the examples you are providing.

You can use Smart Playlists. Page needs to be updated, but you get the idea... https://kodi.wiki/view/Smart_playlists

There are 37 criteria that you can base the playlist on. You can then create Custom Menu items for the Playlists. You are using Rapier, so should be easy to do. There is a guide here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items

Using your example again, create a rule based on Video Resolution = 1080 and it should list all blurays. That will take care of some of your sorting methods. But for others where you have to be selective, and you don't want it to be listed even though the rule matches, then tags is the way to go.

Here is an example of one... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2736143
The smart playlists feature doesn't address the need. Everything keeps coming back to being able to figure out which entry of multiples is the correct one to add to the tag.
And I really don't want to be adding more nodes to the home menu. It's got too much there now; And I would have had to replicate this across 6 PCs.
But I do appreciate the suggestions.

However, I've found a way around it - Manually add the <tag></tag> tag to the nfo then refresh the movie.