Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: image quality when zooming and 4k support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

at first, i've to admit that i'm a complete kodi newbee and so i can't rule out that my issues/questions are a little bit "kodi 4 dummies" breathed on.
I'm running Kodi17 on RPi/libreelec, been fully impressed by it's audio concept, but i've some issues by the handling of pictures.

1)
I've configured Libreelec to output HD/1080 resolution on hdmi (on a 4k TV)
So pics are rendered to 1080 lines which works very fine.
Unfortunately, when i want to zoom in, the pic quality is less then i would have expected.
Compared to some programs there should be a more detailed quality.

I assume that the zoom option is using the 1080line rendered picture as the source, and there is no way to "reroute" the algorithm to the native picture, which has much higher resolution, right ?

2)
So I planned to update the hardware to an odroid c2, which is capable to output 4k, in order to get a 4 time better pic quality (i thought).
Now i read that only movie playback can participate from such an update, and pics will be shown downscaled in 1080 furthermore, so no advantage for me.

this cutback is still active in Kodi17 ?

3)
Can't find any listings in the changelog to leia, so i assume Kodi 18 will show same behaviour.

right?

Thanks
Udo
(2018-06-25, 12:22)strgaltdel Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

at first, i've to admit that i'm a complete kodi newbee and so i can't rule out that my issues/questions are a little bit "kodi 4 dummies" breathed on.
I'm running Kodi17 on RPi/libreelec, been fully impressed by it's audio concept, but i've some issues by the handling of pictures.

1)
I've configured Libreelec to output HD/1080 resolution on hdmi (on a 4k TV)
So pics are rendered to 1080 lines which works very fine.
Unfortunately, when i want to zoom in, the pic quality is less then i would have expected.
Compared to some programs there should be a more detailed quality.

I assume that the zoom option is using the 1080line rendered picture as the source, and there is no way to "reroute" the algorithm to the native picture, which has much higher resolution, right ?
Udo
Wrong. The source is the original picture and that does not change.
(2018-06-25, 12:22)strgaltdel Wrote: [ -> ]2)
So I planned to update the hardware to an odroid c2, which is capable to output 4k, in order to get a 4 time better pic quality (i thought).
Now i read that only movie playback can participate from such an update, and pics will be shown downscaled in 1080 furthermore, so no advantage for me.

this cutback is still active in Kodi17 ?
Maybe this is true for low end devices like odroid. Other platforms can output GUI and Pictures at 4k resolution
(2018-06-25, 12:22)strgaltdel Wrote: [ -> ]3)
Can't find any listings in the changelog to leia, so i assume Kodi 18 will show same behaviour.

right?

Thanks
Udo
Hello FernetMenta,

thank you very much for the explanations
Quote:Maybe this is true for low end devices like odroid. Other platforms can output GUI and Pictures at 4k resolution

So I'm thinking about to get a vero 4k.

regards
Udo
(2018-07-01, 15:20)strgaltdel Wrote: [ -> ]Hello FernetMenta,

So I'm thinking about to get a vero 4k.

Udo 

certainly not the best system you can choose to run Kodi.
Maybe your software is old you should upgrade the odroid to higher version to patch to get the resolution 4k