Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let wattazoum enjoy some vacation time, guys =D

anyway, new svn version is up Smile

and thanks from me for all the work on these ppa builds Smile
Seems like XBMC CPU usage has increased in the latest SVN build. On my Atom 330 it would previously top out at 20% sitting at the main menu. Now it's constantly between 27-30%. Anyone else experiencing the same?
still same for me:
avg 20% @ 1080p50
avg 8% @ 1080p24
+ some occasional +5% spikes
I am also seeing high CPU usage while NOT playing video. When on any of the menus are active the CPU %sy usage is around 80% (%sy is from the top output):

top - 22:08:04 up 6 min, 3 users, load average: 0.34, 0.43, 0.22
Tasks: 127 total, 3 running, 124 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu0 : 0.3%us, 0.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.3%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu1 : 21.3%us, 78.7%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 3371428k total, 644860k used, 2726568k free, 89516k buffers
Swap: 7815612k total, 0k used, 7815612k free, 315916k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
7267 xbmc 20 0 269m 81m 36m R 96 2.5 0:49.73 xbmc.bin

When I start playing video both the %us and %sy usage drops to under 10%.

Running PPA:
Version: 9.04.1-intrepid1
on
Ubuntu 8.10 i386 (proposed-updates enabled)

HW:
AMD 64 X2 5400+
ATI HD3200 onboard (9.7 driver)
I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere, but I just noticed that there are now ppa's for karmic. Thanks wattazoum!

/Daniel
ah well....

as my XBMCbuntu custom install onto the SDHC card of my revo was too slow for me, I decided to do a fresh install to a partition on the harddisk. exactly following the wiki-guide by capriotti, I have it now running with latest SVN, ALSA 1.0.2 and nvidia 190.18 drivers, BUT: the buffering-problem is back!

I've had this with my first XBMC live attempts, but as far as I remember, setting the graphics memory to 512MB in BIOS fixed this. but not anymore... no matter what amount of memory I assign to the ION, the "buffering..." message comes up all the time I'm trying to play an HD file from my NAS. when it plays, it perfectly uses VDPAU with low CPU utilisation, but every few seconds, the buffering starts again and playback stutters.

does anybody have a suggestion I forgot to try? Confused
You play it via wlan ?
no, of course not Wink 100Mbit LAN via SMB

again, I did something before (including enabling 512MB GPU RAM) and it worked flawlessly afterwards, but now the buffering/stuttering with the new installation is back again, and I have no idea what else to do to get rid of it. kinda sucks...
You can try to change <cachevideo> -> <lan> inside your guisettings.xml but i dont know if this will help as i dont have such probs via lan and my ION.
edit:

nevermind.. the crashes appear to be isolated to using the mediastream skin with the latest SVN.. if I change skins, I don't crash.
I realize this isn't a dual boot support forum, but just a question - I had dual boot working just fine, and installed all the updates that Ubuntu 9.04 wanted me to install.

After that, I rebooted, and can now no longer boot into OSX or Ubuntu. Is there a fix for this or did I mess up by allowing 9.04 to install all of its patches/updates?

I am using reFit by the way, can see that menu just fine, but then the circle with a slash in place of the apple logo when booting osx, or just the penguin sitting there when I select ubuntu.

Anyone have a link they can forward me to for help? Did those of you running 9.04 dual boot with OSX get all the updates and have this issue?
What's with the builds failing in the SVN PPA?
Looks like changes to web UI dir structure in#22385 didn't get propagated out to everywhere they are referenced.

It seems to be fixed for Windows builds in #22409, but hasn't yet been done for Linux.

(This refers to the Jaunty & Karmic builds - the Hardy & Intrepid builds have other pre-existing issues earlier in the build process)
Hi there !

Just a small question : are the SVN currently built with support for the DCA audio codec?

When I play a file encoded with such a codec, it basically just goes double speed (rougly 70fps).

If anyone has a clue on how to handle that it would be more than welcome! Wink

Thanks a lot!
Gurney Wrote:Just a small question : are the SVN currently built with support for the DCA audio codec?

And you have searched the forums for the answer? There are quite some threads referencing this issue...

/Daniel