Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playback randomly stops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had this issue with Kodi where video playback randomly stops for a long time now (from 17.0 up till 17.6). 
It seems to be completely random and not related to a specific file type, size or whatsoever.
I have the issue with SMB shares and NFS shares, Kodi runs on an Android box over a wired connection. 

I found numerous threads describing the same problem but never a solution. I tried switching from NFS to SMB,
tried changing the source path from smb:\\servername to smb:\\serverip, I changed caching settings in advancedsettings.xml 
but all to no avail. 

Not sure if it helps, but this is my setup:
- Playback device: Minix Neo U9-H
- File storage: Synology DS418
- Gigabit cable network

I managed to get a couple of log files:
Here the issue happens at 12:05:08.586 
Here the issue happens on several occasions 
And in this one it happens as well  

I found several threads describing the same issue but no solution, it doesn't seem to be
hardware related but it might be Android related?
292378 (thread) 
Reddit thread 
Minix thread #1 
Minix thread #2
There is a known problem caused by ES file explorer, if you have this program installed, uninstall it and see if your problem seases to occur...
(2018-07-10, 11:03)vitocorl Wrote: [ -> ]There is a known problem caused by ES file explorer, if you have this program installed, uninstall it and see if your problem seases to occur...

Hi vitocorl, thanks for the input, I noticed that somebody somewhere in the minix forum mentioned the same. I never thought that could actually be the issue.... But I uninstalled it and kodi hasn't stopped playback anymore ever since I uninstalled ES file explorer!

It sure feels nice to watch a full episode of something without it stopping 5 times! :-)
@Jerry911
If you want to use a decent File Manager in Android without the bloating and invasive ads, try X-plore File Manager.