Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Upscaling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I recently have gotten a new Hisense 4k TV (58P5 ) and have hooked it up to my NVIDIA Shield TV which handles the playback of all my media. 

My questions is regarding the upscaling of 1080p content to 4k within KODI, from reading other threads I should have the Shield set at 2610p resolution but change the resolution inside KODI to be 1080p which should allow my TV to handle the upscaling.

For some reason after following these instructions my TV is reporting the playback of 1080p  when playing 1080p files, should it not show 2610p ? 

I have the display rate to change 'allways'

Any ideas ?
No. It should not. As you want the TV to upscale - kodi has to output 1080p. If it would not do that -> nothing to upscale for your TV. Edit: What might confuse you: a TV has ONE native mode, in your case it is 2160p. When you now fire 1080p at it - it will internally upscale to match its own native resolution.
Sorry for the stupid question, I was under the impression that my TV would display 2160p when pressing the info button. 

Another question I have is regarding MediaCodec options, I don't fully understand what these are doing ? should they both be enabled ?
(2018-07-06, 13:52)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]No. It should not. As you want the TV to upscale - kodi has to output 1080p. If it would not do that -> nothing to upscale for your TV. Edit: What might confuse you: a TV has ONE native mode, in your case it is 2160p. When you now fire 1080p at it - it will internally upscale to match its own native resolution.
 Yes I didn't realize this but now it makes sense
(2018-07-06, 14:00)FunkyKong Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for the stupid question, I was under the impression that my TV would display 2160p when pressing the info button. 

Another question I have is regarding MediaCodec options, I don't fully understand what these are doing ? should they both be enabled ?
 If Surface is enabled kodi has zero influence on output. If Surface is disabled we render ourselves the the GLES renederer. First is a blackbox and will fuckup either HDR or non HDR, second will loose HDR - choose your poison.