Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Possible to disable Kodi's CEC "power on" signal to TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running latest LibreElec/Kodi on RPI2.  Just updated OpenElect to LibreElec yesterday.

My TV (a Vizio) has very flaky CEC, sometimes it works with Kodi, sometimes not.  This was the case for most of a year with OpenElec, continues to be the case with LibreElec, so I'm blaming it on the set. 

Meanwhile, however, the set does seem to respond very well to Kodi sending a signal to turn it on.  Seems like Kodi likes to do that, often I come into the family room to find the TV on with the Kodi main menu on it.

Is there a way to prevent Kodi from sending a "TV Power On" signal, or, barring that, to simply disable CEC altogether?  Seems like OpenElec Kodi had an option to do that in the menus but I'm not seeing that in LibreElec/Kodi...

Thanks,

Todd
There is, I think it is under input/peripherals, you can edit the CEC settings and either turn it off altogether or just stop it turning your TV on and off.
Thanks, that's exactly where it was.   System Settings/Input/Peripherals/CEC Adaptor. 

Slightly un-intuitive, neither "Peripherals" or the CEC option have a "configure", you just need to click them to get into their settings, but once there they're pretty extensive.

I first tried disabling the two options that relate directly to turning the TV on or off - "Devices to power on [off] during startup [shutdown]"  TV had been selected, probably the default.  I set both to "None" originally, but that didn't do it.   I could turn off the set and if I accessed the Kodi from Yatse it would turn the set on.

Then I set "switch source to this device on startup" from "on" to "off", which appeared to do it.  Apparently on my set, whatever signal the Kodi was sending to the set to "switch sources" also meant "turn on" to it.

So far so good, at least.  We'll see if I walk into the family room and find the TV on again over the course of the next few days....
(2018-07-09, 23:21)matthewk1971 Wrote: [ -> ]There is, I think it is under input/peripherals, you can edit the CEC settings and either turn it off altogether or just stop it turning your TV on and off.

Thank you thank you thank you this did it for me and like tmaddison mentioned I need to do both 
set "Devices to power on [off] during startup [shutdown]"  to "None" 
and 
set "switch source to this device on startup" from "on" to "off".

Set is an LG 55LD630, I got it in 2010/2011 I believe.  

I am very happy you shared this fix because my weekly backup routine does a systemctl stop kodi.service, runs the backup, then systemctl start kodi.service and this was constantly powering the TV up every Sunday at midnight.
Glad to see it was useful.  I have a job that runs in the middle of the night to reboot the box - not because that's particularly needed but just because I've always done that with "always on" things as housekeeping.  

Have not had the TV set be "on" when I get up in the morning a single time since doing this, despite multiple Kodi updates.