Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: when is v18 going to feature freeze
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i was just wondering when is v18 going to feature freeze, so more time is spent fixing bugs.. thank you.

MODS: feel free to move this thread to more relevant thread i couldnt really find..
Thread moved.
More attention has already been switched to bug fixing, if it wasn't for some issues that need fixing we would already be in Beta, so once Team has resolved these issues then a Beta build will be released so we can get Leia out the door as soon as possible. We don't really do a hard feature freeze anymore once in Beta as in no new features are allowed, instead a basic risk assessment is done on a case by case basis, so if something is only a simple change then the likelihood is it will be allowed as it will be seen as low risk of introducing any further bugs, however if something was a big and complex change would then there's greater chance of new bugs being introduced, hence it's likely it will have to wait until v19.
The previous reply says it all really.
(2018-07-24, 05:45)mazey Wrote: [ -> ]...when is v18 going to feature freeze, so more time is spent fixing bugs..
This seems to assume that lack of feature freeze is the reason bugs don't get fixed, or that bugs could be fixed quicker. I don't believe that is the case. In reality bugs don't get fixed because:
a) lack of a volunteer with the skills and sufficient knowledge of Kodi to find the cause and solve it.
b) because they are not adequately reported such they they can be repeated, logged and triaged to the attention of the right person (assuming that a. is not also a problem).

Freezing the addition of new features can avoid the addition of new problems, and in theory at least it means that the days someone was spending on developing that feature can go into bug fixing. But in practice it does not suddenly mean that the dev has the knowledge and skill to fix other things, nor does it motivate them to do so. Lack of a freeze is not an issue, lack of skilled volunteers is, and the active dev team is tiny compared to the size of the project and the vast number of users.

Also @mazey do you ask with some specific bugs in mind? If so are these well documented? Has anyone taken ownership of the issue? And finally all be aware that the reality may simply be that there is no one to look into it.
(2018-07-24, 14:26)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]The previous reply says it all really.
(2018-07-24, 05:45)mazey Wrote: [ -> ]...when is v18 going to feature freeze, so more time is spent fixing bugs..
This seems to assume that lack of feature freeze is the reason bugs don't get fixed, or that bugs could be fixed quicker. I don't believe that is the case. In reality bugs don't get fixed because:
a) lack of a volunteer with the skills and sufficient knowledge of Kodi to find the cause and solve it.
b) because they are not adequately reported such they they can be repeated, logged and triaged to the attention of the right person (assuming that a. is not also a problem).

Freezing the addition of new features can avoid the addition of new problems, and in theory at least it means that the days someone was spending on developing that feature can go into bug fixing. But in practice it does not suddenly mean that the dev has the knowledge and skill to fix other things, nor does it motivate them to do so. Lack of a freeze is not an issue, lack of skilled volunteers is, and the active dev team is tiny compared to the size of the project and the vast number of users.

Also @mazey do you ask with some specific bugs in mind? If so are these well documented? Has anyone taken ownership of the issue? And finally all be aware that the reality may simply be that there is no one to look into it. 
 just like everyone else here, just hoping for a stable release. i see alot of bug reports on the forum and alot of them seem to be caused by new features or big changes, personally i only have 1 real issue which has affected my whole time on v18, its well documented here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331246, since it seems to affect all platforms i guess it might be dealt with quicker as everyone should be able to reproduce it.. thanks for the explanation. looking forward to beta then heh i do appreciate all the work you guys do. Smile
(2018-07-24, 23:17)mazey Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-24, 14:26)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]The previous reply says it all really.

just like everyone else here, just hoping for a stable release. i see alot of bug reports on the forum and alot of them seem to be caused by new features or big changes, personally i only have 1 real issue which has affected my whole time on v18, its well documented here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331246, since it seems to affect all platforms i guess it might be dealt with quicker as everyone should be able to reproduce it.. thanks for the explanation. looking forward to beta then heh i do appreciate all the work you guys do. Smile

The issue you referenced could have long been fixed if you provided the info I requested. Now chances are good that it wonˋt get fixed
(2018-07-14, 23:14)mazey Wrote: [ -> ][...] im not going to bother you guys about it again..

So why are you bothering us again, but still don't provide the info you was asked for
(2018-07-25, 10:55)Rechi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-14, 23:14)mazey Wrote: [ -> ][...] im not going to bother you guys about it again..

So why are you bothering us again, but still don't provide the info you was asked for 
i was asked if i was facing any specific issue, i didnt bug you guys in the existing thread. just saying lol
 i already explained why i couldnt give samples in the last post of the thread "i dont think i can provide the samples as everything that scrapes from tvdb has restrictions obviously" i own the material.. i dont want to violate any rules hence giving me no support "catch 22" its not because im lazy as you can see this is bugging me.. i went to alot of effort to provide everything i could logs and how to reproduce the issue. you yourself can reproduce this.. can you look into it. you dont need samples since you already can trigger it.