Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 18 Alpha 2: Screen turns black after some time (10 minutes) in Kodi. DPMS issue.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if this issue existed always, but DPMS seems to be still active when in Kodi. At least if the Kodi screensaver is disabled and if I stay in main menu without running video.

The problem with this is, that if DPMS kicks in to "turn off the screen", then it is not possible to "revive" from this using the remote control (LIRC). I had to connect an USB keyboard to do so.

The "turn off screen" option in Kodi configuration is turned off!

Known bug/problem? Official solution?

I now hacked around with several xorg.conf modifications until I finally got DPMS disabled completely.
.xinitrc:
Code:
# Power savings off
xset -dpms s off

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "Xinerama"           "0"
    Option        "BlankTime"          "0"  # Blank the screen (Fake)
    Option        "StandbyTime"        "0"  # Turn off screen (DPMS)
    Option        "SuspendTime"        "0"
    Option        "OffTime"            "0"
EndSection

I have these settings to turn all power savings off. Don't know if everything is still needed, have been copying those from old installs very long time.
The question is: Why?
Kodi has builtin settings like "Turn off screen after..."
So my guess is, that this is a bug?
Kodi-standalone is not supported. We don't interfer with your xserver's dpms setting. Tell the window manager or tell the xserver to disable dpms.
This can be solved via using the supported method of running Kodi. I do so with lightdm autostarting openbox on the appropriate user. Openbox autostarts Kodi. My openbox autostart looks like so...
Code:
kodi &
sleep 5
xset s 0 s blank -dpms &
line. Works flawlessly.

I know you guys say you don't mess with dpms, but something is amiss and I assume that the system isn't honoring the setting about disabling power management like I assume it should. Never had this trouble with Krypton, something is different.