Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video problem with external sound track
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings from Brazil

I saved an external sound track along with an external subtitle file inside a movie folder. They are as follows:
Quote:  The LEGO Ninjago Movie 2017 EUR 2160p UHD Blu-ray Remux HEVC Atmos 7.1..HDR.Dolby.Atmos.srt
  The LEGO Ninjago Movie 2017 EUR 2160p UHD Blu-ray Remux HEVC Atmos 7.1.HDR.Dolby.Atmos-pt-br.ac3
  The LEGO Ninjago Movie 2017 EUR 2160p UHD Blu-ray Remux HEVC Atmos 7.1.HDR.Dolby.Atmos.mkv

The problem is: Whenever I try to play this movie Kodi reproduces the audio but does not show the video. Kodi plays be video just if I remove or remake the audio file.

I am using the following system:
  • Kodi 17.6 Krypton
  • nVidia Shield TV 2017 Version 8.0.0
  • Shield Android TV SW Version 7.0.1 (29.10.175.21)
  Additional information:   What should I do in order to be able to run such movies with external soundtrack without any issue? 

Thanks
Gilson
(2018-07-27, 04:34)gilsonsjc Wrote: [ -> ]Greetings from Brazil

I saved an external sound track along with an external subtitle file inside a movie folder. They are as follows:
Quote:  The LEGO Ninjago Movie 2017 EUR 2160p UHD Blu-ray Remux HEVC Atmos 7.1..HDR.Dolby.Atmos.srt
  The LEGO Ninjago Movie 2017 EUR 2160p UHD Blu-ray Remux HEVC Atmos 7.1.HDR.Dolby.Atmos-pt-br.ac3
  The LEGO Ninjago Movie 2017 EUR 2160p UHD Blu-ray Remux HEVC Atmos 7.1.HDR.Dolby.Atmos.mkv
The problem is: Whenever I try to play this movie Kodi reproduces the audio but does not show the video. Kodi plays be video just if I remove or remake the audio file.

• Kodi 17.6 Krypton
  Additional information:   What should I do in order to be able to run such movies with external soundtrack without any issue? 

Thanks
Gilson 
 I didn't know it was possible for Kodi to play an external audio track. Do you know you can run the files through MKVToolNix and add the audio to the .mkv file?

• Kodi 17.6 Krypton

Thanks
Gilson 

Why not run the audio, srt and original MKV through MKVToolNix to mux all three of them into a new MKV container? That will mean you just have a single file to handle?
(2018-07-27, 08:44)T800 Wrote: [ -> ]

• Kodi 17.6 Krypton

Thanks
Gilson   
 I didn't know it was possible for Kodi to play an external audio track. Do you know you can run the files through MKVToolNix and add the audio to the .mkv file?  
Hello! Neither did I until I searched this forum and found an old thread about it. Yes, I know I can add the soundtrack to the movie container itself but I want to avoid this due a simple reason: each movie is about 45 GB in avg. I have a pretty old NAS which I use to save the movies and it takes about 2 hours to copy a movie from my machine to it and about 1,5 hour to copy it from the NAS to my computer. On top of that, I have a disk size limitation of 90GB - to run the merge I have to have at least twice space as the biggest movie. I have something like 15 movies in the NAS right now whose the soundtracks are in separated files. It would be a nightmare for me to do that merge at this point. 

The biggest soundtrack as far as filesize is concerned is 400MB - it takes only few minutes to copy them over to my NAS and start using them.

Is this the right forum/topic to report this issue?
(2018-07-27, 10:48)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Why not run the audio, srt and original MKV through MKVToolNix to mux all three of them into a new MKV container? That will mean you just have a single file to handle? 
  Hello! Neither did I until I searched this forum and found an old thread about it. Yes, I know I can add the soundtrack to the movie container itself but I want to avoid this due a simple reason: each movie is about 45 GB in avg. I have a pretty old NAS which I use to save the movies and it takes about 2 hours to copy a movie from my machine to it and about 1,5 hour to copy it from the NAS to my computer. On top of that, I have a disk size limitation of 90GB - to run the merge I have to have at least twice space as the biggest movie. I have something like 15 movies in the NAS right now whose the soundtracks are in separated files. It would be a nightmare for me to do that merge at this point. 

The biggest soundtrack as far as filesize is concerned is 400MB - it takes only few minutes to copy them over to my NAS and start using them.

Is this the right forum/topic to report this issue?
Anyone to help me out on this one? Thanks
It's probably best asking in another part of the forum as I can't see this being specific to the Shield TV.
Thanks for the reply - would you recommend the appropriated forum to post such issue?
Video support would be more appropriate. I'll move your post there now.
Any updates on this one?! Thank you!
Can you disable Mediacodec AND Mediacodec-Surface? Do you get a picture then? (A stuttering one, obviously clear).
This was already (or double) posted in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=263249. There were similar problems reported elsewhere. My guess is that the audio file does not give proper pts or dts values. The multi demuxer is then fooled to only read from the audio file. The problem isn't easy to solve. Meanwhile you should mux the streams by hand.
In the log I saw mediacodec opened and being used, therefore I thought we had a valid stream.
(2018-08-11, 12:49)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Can you disable Mediacodec AND Mediacodec-Surface? Do you get a picture then? (A stuttering one, obviously clear).
 I've just seen this update. I can do it but you need to guide me on how to do it Smile