Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
seph100 Wrote:Forgive me if this is noobish question as I am new to the encoding process. I followed your wiki article to the T but I am getting an error. MeGUI will encode the audio but when it moves onto what should be the first pass through the video it comes up with this error:

An error occurred: x246 [error]: ratecontrol_init: can't open stats file
An error occurred: x264 [error]: x264_encoder_open failed

This lead me to believe that the problem was with the --stats file part of the command. I created the file manually and I still get the error. I have searched on google to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never mind I figured it out. It was how I was doing the two passes.
So I am using Handbrake and these settings:

H.264
AC3

Picture Settings:
Crop: Auto
Size: 720/
Loose Anamorphic
Deblock

Video:
Advanced:2-pass/Turbo first pPass
Quality: 1100
Framrate: Auto

Audio & Subtitles
Track 1: Auto
Track 1 Mix: Auto
Track 2: None
Subtitles Auto/Forced Sub only

Chapters: Create Chapter Marks

Advanced:
Code:
ref=6:bframes=6:weightb=1:brdo=1:me=umh:merange=32 :subq=7:trellis=2:no-fast-pskip=1:analyse=p8x8,b8x8,i4x4:nf=1:level=4.1:rate tol=20.0

If i use those settings I get no audio. I have tried a SB Live, SB X-fi a generic Realtec and my xbox.

If the only thing i change is from AC3 to ACC I have audio.

So two questions. Are those settings good for the xbox and what do I need to do to get AC3 audio on the encode.

Thanks in advance Wink
I upgraded to the latest snapshot of Handbrake, not the default download, and it fixed this issue. However, I have not tried the file on the xbox yet.
Before I start downloading all these programs I just want to make sure of one thing.

I have a lot of files that are already in h.264 but need to be scaled down to work on the XBMC. I just want to make sure that is possible to just recode the h.264 to work better on the Xbox
You can reencode it to mpg. and dont have to scaledown, xbox will play it very well (even 720p) with dvdplayer. I use GotSent.
Possibly send a link to where I could find some kind of tutorial to use it?
Hi, I was following the instructions in the Wiki, but now i get this error in MeGui, and i dont know whats wrong, can anyone helpImage here is a jpg of the error box. THanks
Hi all i was following JPSiemer's Guide for making H.264 MKV's playable in XBMC, I was following the instructions in the Wiki, but now i get this error in MeGui, and i dont know whats wrong, can anyone help here is a jpg of the error box. THanks

What version of .Net do you have? Typically this error is seen in a pop-up box. Try changing the name of the output file (add a "1" or something).
Has anyone had any luck with these formats working on an iPod/iPhone as well as being able to be accessed via a samba share on xbmc? I've tried many combinations on this post (except mkv as they don't work on the iPhone) and have had no luck at all.
They need to be in MP4 (or M4V?) container to work on the iPhone//iPod.

If they where re-muxed (de-muxed then muxed) then I'm sure they work:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=47693
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic334503.html

...or just encode them to MP4 directly if it is with the specifications limitations:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/inde...opic=62848
I notice that high-quality x264-encoded material in MKV containers actually plays ALMOST without framedropping using "DVDPlayer" instead of MPlayer... The only problem is that the sound gets de-synced when there IS any framedropping. So it feels like you guys are really close to having this figured out at least for high-quality H.264 DVD rips at least?
Remuxing won't work. Iphone keeps saying its not a supported file format. The MKV container works great on XBMC but unfortunatly that won't work on the iPhone. Whenever I convert it to mp4 it either won't work on the iPhone or if it does work on the iPhone it won't work on XBMC

Thanks for the help. I think i'm out of luck.
I used Handbrake for OS X (0.9.2) to create an X264 in a M4V file with AC3 Passthru. Problem is the following:

DVD Player:
Plays AC3 audio but not Subtitles

MPlayer:
Does not play the AC3 audio but does play Subtitles.

I used Muxo to add the subtitle file to the M4V.

The advanced handbrake settings I used:
Quote:ref=6:bframes=6:weightb=1:brdo=1:me=umh:merange=32 Confusedubq=7:trellis=2:no-fast-pskip=1:analyse=p8x8,b8x8,i4x4:nf=1:level=4.1:rate tol=20.0

Anybody have any insight on this problem?
russ1123 Wrote:What version of .Net do you have? Typically this error is seen in a pop-up box. Try changing the name of the output file (add a "1" or something).

Hi, I have .net 2.0 I tried changing the file name and and location as well but still get the error, can anyone help with this?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25