Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No video when playing HEVC files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I originally posted this in the hardware/peripherals forum; somehow I missed the support forum.

I recently got a 4k LG 65b7a OLED and last night I tried to play a HEVC file which results in audio playing but no video output. I did some various troubleshooting but nothing seemed to work. My setup is as follows: NASbox mapped to Kodi on an Nvidia Shield > Sony STRDN1080 Receiver > LG 65b7a TV. I tried connecting the Shield directly to the TV and the same thing occurs, no video but audio does work. The same file does display on an Amazon FireTV box direct connected to a Panasonic VT60 1080p. The Nvidia Shield HDMI settings are set to 4k Resolution, 30 Hz, YUV 422 12-bit Rec. 2020. The TV is using the rtings settings provided here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b7-...d/settings. I looked through the Kodi log and with my limited knowledge of this stuff I did see "No accelerated colorspace conversion found" which seems to be related to ffmpeg but I don't know enough to really do much with that info.

Log File here: http://paste.kodi.tv/ixugajukuq

Thanks for any help.

Edit: One thing I just tried was connecting the Shield to the 1080p TV that did work when using Kodi on a FireTV. The same issue where no video but audio worked occurred. I did notice that on the Shield Display settings the dynamic range was greyed out when attached to the 4k/receiver but when direct connected to the 1080p TV it gave options of auto, limited, full and full was selected.

Edit2: I just tried to play another 10bit video and it worked. Here is the media info on the files that work and don't work.

Working: http://paste.kodi.tv/nacahohica.pl
Not Working: http://paste.kodi.tv/edahahegex.pl
The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
Can you PM me what add-on it is? I honestly don't use add-ons and I did a clean install of Kodi about a month ago.

NVM, I think I found what you were talking about. I forgot I had even tried that. The add-on and repo have been removed and new logfile has replaced the original.
The file plays without video because it has a full range flag. It does play in the default android video player (without sound for some reason). So, can't really blame it on nVIDIA firmware. It also plays fine in MX player with HW acceleration.
(2018-08-05, 20:22)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]The file plays without video because it has a full range flag. It does play in the default android video player (without sound for some reason). So, can't really blame it on nVIDIA firmware. It also plays fine in MX player with HW acceleration.
 I just noticed the full flag myself. Is there a Kodi setting for that? I find it odd that the firetv running kodi 17.6 plays it just fine. One thing I haven't done is uninstall Kodi and clean install. I may have been mis-remembering clean installing it since I had that addon/repo installed and that was from a long time ago.
I just tried playing the video through MX Player and the samething happened in kodi. No video, audio only.
(2018-08-05, 20:50)Asturie Wrote: [ -> ]I just tried playing the video through MX Player and the samething happened in kodi. No video, audio only.
It plays fine in MX player, you have to use "HW" acceleration instead of "HW+".

(2018-08-05, 20:38)Asturie Wrote: [ -> ]I just noticed the full flag myself. Is there a Kodi setting for that?
No there is no setting for that. I do have to mention that the file also plays fine in LE x86 on Intel Kaby Lake system.
(2018-08-05, 20:55)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-05, 20:50)Asturie Wrote: [ -> ]I just tried playing the video through MX Player and the samething happened in kodi. No video, audio only.
It plays fine in MX player, you have to use "HW" acceleration instead of "HW+".
(2018-08-05, 20:38)Asturie Wrote: [ -> ]I just noticed the full flag myself. Is there a Kodi setting for that?
No there is no setting for that. I do have to mention that the file also plays fine in LE x86 on Intel Kaby Lake system. 
 So I did a complete factory reset of my Shield and re-installed Kodi and MX Player. I set the HDMI settings on the shield back to YUV 2020 and retried playing the video. In Kodi on the shield, same thing no video but audio works. In MX Player however using HW instead of HW+ both video and audio worked. In Kodi on the FireTV at 1080p the file worked fine. Works fine too using Skylake x86 in MPC-BE. I also just tried setting the resolution of the shield and kodi to 1080p and tried to play the file but again no video. I honestly have no idea what to do at this point.
(2018-08-05, 21:27)Asturie Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. 
There is not much you can do, other than playing these videos in MX player. These anime videos are actually incorrectly flagged as full range. The few that I have analyzed (including this one) all have the normal limited range in their content.
(2018-08-06, 01:52)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-05, 21:27)Asturie Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. 
There is not much you can do, other than playing these videos in MX player. These anime videos are actually incorrectly flagged as full range. The few that I have analyzed (including this one) all have the normal limited range in their content. 
 Well that's a bit annoying but eh whatever, other encodes can be watched. Thanks for all your help.